I can't work this one out.

I have a PC where Firefox, Safari and Subversion (Tortoise) can happily access the Internet and Outlook can pick up email but IE6 and IE7 both say they can't find a DNS server and Dreamweaver says it can't resolve a domain name. I can live without IE7 but I rather like Dreamweaver.

I've flushed caches, replaced network cards, reinstalled IE7, used OpenDNS and everything else that's been recommended to me but I'm still in the same place. Before I throw the whole PC away, can any of you experts suggest what this could be?

Many thanks

Allen

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Maybe try going back to an earlier restore point?

Maybe try going back to an earlier restore point?

I tried that but it made no difference. I only went back a few weeks from when it happened as I wasn't sure what I would have been stripping out.

Allen

I tried that but it made no difference. I only went back a few weeks from when it happened as I wasn't sure what I would have been stripping out.

Allen

Hmmm, this is tough. I am asking this for more background info purposes: Did you uninstall IE6 too? Sometimes legacy software can raise havoc. You probably did, but I am just asking so I know what else to try and think of. :)

I uninstalled IE7 but couldn't see how to uninstall IE6. It seems to be build in to XP.

Allen

I think it's spelled "WEIRD"

Your IE6 must have come with your WinXP
Installation CD and when you installed WinXP ,the IE6 was added to your OS by default.

Is it necessary for you to use IE?

Just try to use IE updates and see if that helps or reinstall the WinXP..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.