basically i want to set up a LAN to share files and play games between my laptop and desktop. both have built in realtek network adapters. i could ping both machines from each other and found out i was using a patch cable. i went out and bought a belkin CAT5e crossover patch cable but the same thing happens. it says that the cable needs a 10/100 base-T network card . mine connects at 100 mbps so is it ok ? do i have to run the wizard again ? step by step would be appreciated . thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Will you be connecting either/both computer(s) to the internet, say via a router?

I too had the same problem after connecting the 10/100 base-T Network card i can operate a laptop and desktop same at a time.

I too had the same problem after connecting the 10/100 base-T Network card i can operate a laptop and desktop same at a time.
===========================================================arnold
asciisol

I'd suggest saving yourself a lot of trouble and get a cheap router, switch, or hub to put between them. It will make it a whole lot less complicated and let you share internet connectivity at the same time.

They need to have the same workgroup name. if you go to start > run > type the IP address of the other computer "\\x.x.x.x" it should either say not accessible or you do not have access or it could present you a username and password. if you get a username and password, it needs to be the one used on the other computer. the best way to do it is create another account on each of the computers to allow access and set access permissions on a workgroup environment. if you can ping the other computer, then it's no longer a hardware issue. routers and switches will just aid in the communication logically and physically but not allow access to files and folders on other computers on the network. it's how the network properties in each computer in a workgroup is set-up that get the file and printer sharing going.

call 1-877-787-8749. call them it's free if you give them this promo code "supportcall".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.