I'm having an issue with my internet connection; everything was dandy until last week when I re-installed Windows XP. Now, there is a wireless connection, I've checked with the provider and the connection is strong. The problem is that after about 5 minutes, the connectivity drops out. Going to the wireless connection properties 2 or 3 times seems to solve the issue... for about 5 minutes. I'm on a desktop computer that's set up across the room from the router. The software that came with my wireless card overrides the Windows configuration, but that's easily fixable by selecting the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings", although I've been having some difficulty keeping that selected. Last night I changed a setting on the wireless zero configuration and that seemed to set everything right, but this morning when I turned on my computer, there was no connection and I wasn't able to get into the wireless settings of the connection properties until I restarted the computer (about 3 times). Now I'm back at the same point I was when I reformatted.

First, you should connect to the router with a cable to configure it...router user guide probably says that. I'm interested to know why you don't have a cable to a computer in the same room with a router.

Connect with a cable and run the wireless card also...a comparison between the two might point out the problem...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.