I have a DG834N that is sometimes blocking access to specific sites. There are 6 PCs attached, some wired, some wireless. The router has NO firewall config - it is as it came from the box. It is preventing msn messenger from communicating, it blocks access to hotmail and microsoft.com. However google works fine, along with loads of other websites. Of the 6 PCs, one wired and one wireless are affected by this. The others work fine when these two don't. If I hard reset the router, service to all PCs is restored - for a while. I have done a factory reset, but no improvement. Firmware is the latest level, although it looks like Netgear haven't issued a revision for a long time.

I have seen other posts here about similar issues, and just wondered if anyone found a cure.....

Pat

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Well I thought I would reply to myself, as no-one else has :-(

It seems that some firewall rules I set up and subsequently deleted somehow got "stuck" in the router, not visible on the firewall setup page, and unable to be removed by a factory reset. I have now done the "secret" factory reset which apparently does a more thorough job than the normal one. So far, the symptoms have not returned.

And the secret reset is..........

Find out for yourselves. No-one could be bothered to try helping me here, so why should I give any of you the benefit of my time and effort? This site comes with lots of nice words about IT professionals helping one another. The reality is very different.

oh poor old us...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.