I have a linksys router with the computers (2) pluged into it port 1 and 2. I have a wireless netgear router pluged into the linksys port 3 from the netgear WAN port, I need to find a way to get to the router config on the netgear, it does not respond to the default address I guess do to the linksys router being in frontof it. and as far as I can tell the wireless part does work I just need a way to get into the netgear router to change things without haveing to unplug the netgear from the linksys and pluging it direct to the computer I can get to the config on the linksys just fine and the linksys has to be first it is also by TA for the broadband phone the netgear is the router I was useing first but still want to hook it up for the wireless.

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You have two routers, did you use a pc port on the Netgear or the uplink port?

What are the model numbers of each?

You have two routers, did you use a pc port on the Netgear or the uplink port?

What are the model numbers of each?

The netgear is a MR814 VER. 2, the linksys is a RT41P2-AT it is also a broadband phone adapter so it has to be firts in the chain.

The cable modem is hooked to the WAN on the linksys the computers are hooked to the linksys in ports 1 and 2, the WAN on the netgear is hooked to port 3 on the linksys.

I hope this helps
Thank you

This is going to be tricky, you have two layer three devices that both want to be the default gateway and DHCP server for your network. The Linksys will do fine for everything hardwired, but the Netgear will try to provide an IP for anything wireless.

Is it an option to return the netgear MR814 for a WG602 or some other basic access point? This should be pretty plug and prayable.

If you need to use the MR814 you will need to figure out how to turn off the DHCP server and then find out if it will pass a DHCP request from your pc to the Linksys. I would try to use a wireless pc to reach the admin page for the Netgear, it should work, but if it doesn't try this:

-remove the uplink between the two routers
-plug pc into the MR814
-reboot MR814
-reboot pc
-try the admin page again

That should get you into the MR814. Let us know what happens.

If you need to use the MR814 you will need to figure out how to turn off the DHCP server and then find out if it will pass a DHCP request from your pc to the Linksys. I would try to use a wireless pc to reach the admin page for the Netgear, it should work, but if it doesn't try this:

-remove the uplink between the two routers
-plug pc into the MR814
-reboot MR814
-reboot pc
-try the admin page again

That should get you into the MR814. Let us know what happens.

I do have the MR814's DHCP turned off and when I plug the MR814 directly to the pc I can get into the admin page I can not try to get into the admin with a wireless as the wireless laptop in the daughters and she is not here right now, I may just leave it untill she comes home for break, it would be nice to get into the admin page of both from the pc with out having to unplug and plug

I hope this helped

not to be insulting, is there a cross over cable between the routers? Go you have solid green link lights on both boxes?

Yes the lites all check out ok

Next I would:
-assign a static IP on the inside of the Netgear with a default gateway to the linksys address.
-shutdown (at least unplug) the netgears outside port
-assign a static ip to the wireless card in the laptop with a default gateway of the linksys IP.

At this point can you ping from the laptop to the netgear? the linksys? can you browse an internet page?

What is the dhcp scope on the linksys?

Can you draw a picture of how everything's connected? This would really help me out, at least.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.