I have a Netgear wireless WGT624 connected to the uplink port of a linksys BEFSR41. The cable modem is connected to the WAN on the linksys. I have 3 computers connected to ports 1,2,3 on linksys and 2 computers connected to ports 1,2 on netgear.

My problem:

On the computers connected to the netgear, I can network between just those two computers connected through the netgear. I want to also netgear with the 3 computers connected in the linksys, but the computers on the netgear are not seeing them in the network.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Sounds like a configuration problem with the set up on the LinkSys BEFSR41. Let's see if I understand. Cable modem to the input on the LinkSys. PC's to ports 1,2 & 3 on the LinkSys. Port 4 of the LinkSys to the Netgear WGT624's input and PC's to ports 1 & 2 only on the Netgear.

You said the 2 PC's on the Netgear were talking to each other but not to the other 3 on the LinkSys. Are the 3 on the LinkSys able to talk to each other? Can they see the 2 on the Netgear?

The way I understand it (and I'm not an expert), your LinkSys is the key router. It has to recognize ALL devices on the LAN by IP address to establish the interconnect with the Internet. Since you probably only have one IP address assigned by your cable ISP, then the LinkSys should use Network Address Translation (NAT). Somewhere along the way, you should have had to configure the LinkSys. To do that you would have needed the IP address assigned to you by your ISP and then use it to establish your LAN. You would probably have programmed the router to use DHCP and to act as the DHCP server for your LAN. Then it would automatically obtain IP addresses from all the devices on your LAN (including printers). The LinkSys router is set to default to DHCP. That means if the other router is the same (automatic default to DHCP) there will be a conflict and the Netgear router would have to be programmed to be disabled as a DHCP server.

You should have gotten some sort of CD-ROM which would be used to set up and configure the LinkSys. You should use it. Most LinkSys stuff I've seen uses a "Set-Up Wizard" which makes it pretty easy to understand and use. You'll also have to go into each PC individually and configure their Network settings to obtain their IP addresses automatically from the LinkSys DHCP. I think you'll have to do that also with the Netgear router (it will get an IP from the LinkSys). Your ISP will give you the settings to configure the LinkSys.

The initial hook up and power up sequence is also important. Basically, you turn off everything. Then hook up the LAN (cable modem to the LinkSys, PC's to ports 1-3, port 4 to the Netgear, PC's to ports 1-2 of the Netgear. Then you turn on:
1- the cable modem
2- the LinkSys
3- all the devices (PC's, printers, and the Netgear)

For the LinkSys BEFSR41, you should have set up instructions in Chapter 5 of the instruction manual that came with the router. Follow that & you should be OK unless you have a hardware problem.

The cable between port 4 on the Linksys and port 3 on the Netgear must be a cross over cable (pins 1-3,2-6) unless the Linksys has an "uplink" port or button on port 4.

DHCP must be turned off on Netgear

Nothing should be plugged into the WAN port on the netgear

I suggest people wanting to do this (who haven't yet bought anything yet) keep their existing router and add a 10/100 switch and a separate access point.

Yes you will have one box for NAT/DHCP/Firewall, one box for LAN devices, and one for wireless devices. Let each box do it's own job. If you want a faster AP or another switch adding and changing is VERY easy.

When you take two soho routers (that are designed to be plug and play for being the only box running your network) and you attach two of them to each other you will have to manually resolve all conflicts.

I hope that helps the next person.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.