I have a Windows 2000 professional PC here that cannot access the internet. It is a friends PC that about 2 months ago he called me and said he couldn't access the net with IE6. I got him to install Mozilla firefox and he was back in action up until a month ago when he couldnt get on with Firefox either. I took the PC from him (now I wish I hadn't) and found his antivirus was way out of date. Installed avast and ad-aware and found a couple of virus' and loads of adware. Its all clean now but I still cant get it back on the internet.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the DSL modem but no luck. When I install the modem it gived me an auto config IP address and when I manually configure the tc/pip settings I can ping ip addresses on the internet but I still cant get on the net. Even using a website IP address in IE does not work.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks
Stephen

Recommended Answers

All 33 Replies

Is it a problem with your internet explorer or everything else ..... ?? if it is a problem with your IE .. you can download IEFix and reinstall your IE using the tool.

Is it a problem with your internet explorer or everything else ..... ?? if it is a problem with your IE .. you can download IEFix and reinstall your IE using the tool.

Thanks, Its a problem with everything else. cant conect for virus / adware updates, outlook, IE, Mozilla, the only thing I find that I can do is ping and tracert out from a command prompt and that is only to IP addresses not URL's.

Anyone else have any ideas what this could be? I am using a Cayman 3341 Netopia DSL modem which gets picked up and the driver and ISP config seems to install fine but when it attempts to open the Modem config screen (192.168.1.254) in IE it cannot connect to the modem.

If I set the modem up manually i can ping a web ip address but using the same IP in my browser will not take me to the page!

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Just to confirm you can ping 198.6.1.1 bug not www.yahoo.com right?

-Do an "ipconfig /all" and write down your DNS addresses (post the output for us here if you don't mind.)
-Ping those I bet they either don't respond or they are invalid.
-You can use the 198.6.1.1 as your DNS by changing your TCP/IP properties and test again, should work.
-If so contact your ISP and get good DNS addresses.

Here is What my IPConfig/all returns. Bare in mind that I have manually setup the IP address, subnet mask, default Gateway and DNS servers. Otherwise I was just getting the default IP autoconfig and couldnt even ping out.

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen>ipconfig/all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : homePC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 16:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Cayman 3000 series USB Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-C5-B5-B1-A9
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 159.134.237.6

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Cable disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Pro/1000 MT Network Connect
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1F-51-86-91

Anyone got any ideas on this. I still havent found a solution. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling TC/PIP and network cards but I still cant get it. I've tried using the Ethernet connection instead of the USB with exactly the same results.... NOTHING until i manually configure it and then I can ping out to the internet but nothing else.

I'm going to have to format it which I really dont want to do...

Thanks
Stephen

if you ping 192.168.1.254?

did you try pinging 198.6.1.1 and then changing your DNS to point there?

do you think DHCP should be working? If so why do you need to manually assign an IP? may seem trivial but is your ISP account tagged inactive? can someone else link up with this connection (pc vs port question)

I am grasping at straws a bit, but any further light you could shed would help.

I can only ping 192.168.1.254 if I have manually configure TCP/IP. To get to the DSL setup I should be able to put 192.168.1.254 into my browser but It gives a 'The page cannot be displayed' error.

DHCP sorts my win xp pc with the same modem and isp but I get nothing with the same config on the win 2000 pro pc.

This really has the better of me!

ohh and they are definitely good DNS servers I am using. I am using them on other PC's and they work fine. They are my ISP's DNS Servers. :eek:

that's good info, definetely rules out alot.

We know:
-ISP is bringing internet to your doorstep
-ISP can deliver DHCP to your machine
-IP address/mask/default gateway are all good
-With one pc running XP everything works correctly (correct me if I am wrong here.)
-The DNS servers are valid and responding

If you could do me one thing, just amuse me for a minute:
1-set the ethernet card on the 2k box to dhcp all
2-power down pc and modem, disconnect usb
3-connect up 2k box to modem via ethernet (straight or x-over cable?)
4-power up modem
5-power up pc, login, do another "ipconfig /all"

Thanks for the help.

Here's the new IPConfig /all info... (still not on the net and can no longer ping out)

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : homepc
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-74-A3-74-91
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.245.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

OK, that's too bad I would of rather finished my Friday with an easy one.

Let's put a static ip/subnet mask/default gateway/ and dns servers on the ethernet card settings and reboot the netopia one more time and try to ping each of the following:

192.168.1.1 (local test)
192.168.1.254 (test to ip on modem)
159.134.237.6 (test primary dns)
198.133.219.25 (test IP connectivity to Cisco)
www.cisco.com (test name resolution)

let me know which ones work and which ones don't. We may need the emergency repair disks yet but let's make sure first...

finny, I don't know what to say. It sure looks like everything on the network end is good. (If anyone else on the board has an idea please chime in with it.)

I think it may be a good time to collect a Hijack This log and post it, this thread might be moved over to the Windows forum depending on what is in there.

If you find the answer on your own please post back what it is.

Hey stephen,

Check if its a 169.254.0.0 ip add and if yes try running the winsockxpfix patch from spychecker.com.

If not try the manual winsock and tcpip reinstall settings and run the netsh coomand.

if u need any other assistance send me ur query at techsam@dellmail.com

THANKS,
Sam

If you are online get in touch with me

I work for a Community Colllege and was having the same problem with a computer connected to our LAN. It was originally running W2K and I just upgraded it to XP. I had tried everything I could think of to no avail. Winsockxpfix solved the problem.

Thanks,
Bill

my friends computers been giving me hell. first a ton of viruses, i say ok ill format it since the viruses were so out of control and the virus scans were not working. but this is the perfectly operating reinstall?? not quite... like one page i read says, windows xp is a very safe operating system, off line.... ok heres the deal, winamp get internet, and streaming video/music. mozilla gets internet activity, i can ping ciscos website and get pings back. internet explorer, real player, and windows media player all do not have access to the web. i tryed everything in the post, and nothings worked. it sounds like this is far less common than that fun aura virus. as the name states, i hate this im getting nothing out of keeping this computer up and running when the users keep comming back at it with new problems. it was working a week ago..... windows 2000 has been so kind to me over the YEARS xp has just been trash. i kill my first xp box experiance in under an hour. from day one xp has not been a 10th as good as windows 2000. i would like to pull out that windows me card. windows me did better than xp in its time at least windows ME would run for like 2 weeks. im not including a log of my ip settings since everything in thare is fine. its a IE problem/windows problem/xp was installed. :sad:

edited to add, IE can connect to this routers configuration page. its a combo usb/4 port router/dsl modem. THANKS IN ADVANCe!!!!!!

Since it sounds like you are having a different issue, why don't you start your own thread?

nope, its the same exact issue word for word. can load ebay in mozilla, cant sign into ebay in mozilla. can ping using cmd websites and can connect to cisco using ip address in mozilla, NOT ie. the owers are complaning about not being able to get into online bank accounts or sign into ebay. ie is not working with ip or domain names. mozilla does both, winamp plays streams. win media player cannot connect to remote files. ie only connects to the router configuration page, anything past the local "network" IE will not do. the ipconfig all is same as finnys feb 11th post, except for the ip addres is 192.168.1.64, and subnetmask 255.255.255.0 it provides the dns servers in the modem configuration page. they are 67.36.55.26 and 206.141.193.55 i get ping from both of them using cmd. i installed the usb driver, and tested the usb connectivity to the modem, got connectivity, but still the same problem. its a problem from the osi level 2, and up. windows xp is a dragggggg. ive gone into the registry and set the ip routing value to 1 to see if this does anything, rebooting.

hi there you stiill cant get connected to the net . check if ya have a network card or if you are registered with the isp i mean ckeck ya account and other stuff. check ya pc if its been configured for the net. so ya friend never got to the net with that pc???

try to type this command at dow
ping <sitename>
and then post the result

nope, its the same exact issue word for word.

i h8 this,

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member, regardless of how similar your problem might seem. Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforu...b_faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

I notied that you didnt have any DNS servers?

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Try "ipconfig /release", then a "ipconfig /renew".

If that dosent fix it, get the DNS servers from a computer that works, then try manually setting the DNS servers on the computer that dosent work.

First off, I noticed that when you enabled DHCP, your IP address was set to 169.254.245.101. An IP starting with 169.254.x.x is an "Automatic Private IP Address" (APIPA). This is a temp IP assigned to your network cards when your DHCP server fails to allot an IP address. Since your ISP has assigned you an IP address (192.168.1.1), your ISP doesn't have a DHCP server. You need to set your IP back to 192.168.1.1. Also, reset your DNS server addresses. With this config, you should be back to square one(can ping sites on the internet, but cannot open sites in a browser window.)

Now, open your hosts file (C:\Winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts). Post the contents of this file here. Typically, you should only have the following entries...

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Note that the lines starting with # are comments and may not be present. Now notice the line

127.0.0.1 localhost

This assigns an IP 127.0.0.1 to localhost, which is a loopback to your own computer. What you need to do is delete all entries except
the localhost. Now restart the computer and try accessing the sites again.
If this doesn't help, let us know

I notied that you didnt have any DNS servers?

Try "ipconfig /release", then a "ipconfig /renew".

If that dosent fix it, get the DNS servers from a computer that works, then try manually setting the DNS servers on the computer that dosent work.

He didn't have DNS entries because he had DHCP enabled. I believe his ISP doesn't have a DHCP server. When he enabled DHCP, he was assigned an IP address 169.254.245.101. This is an Automatic Private IP Address, assigned by Windows when a DHCP server fails to allot an IP address.

More info on APIPA here:

He didn't have DNS entries because he had DHCP enabled. I believe his ISP doesn't have a DHCP server. When he enabled DHCP, he was assigned an IP address 169.254.245.101. This is an Automatic Private IP Address, assigned by Windows when a DHCP server fails to allot an IP address.

More info on APIPA here:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of 169.254 as an error. Good to know.

Thanks a lot guys. I was having this problem on a PC from work. Word for word the same problem and that winsockxpfix did the trick for me. I had stayed late for 3 hours working on it. Thanks again. Best of luck to the thread starter.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.