The current setup has one cPanel reseller, which directs the viewer to another cPanel reseller via an IP address in an A name records. It uses the default system built into cPanel, meaning I cannot remove or otherwise modify these new zones.
In addition, these subdomains are reknown to not work, most specifically on older ISPs. As I'm running a web host, this is unacceptable. I need a solution that works universally, or as close to universally as possible. In addition, if the user creates subdomains of their subdomain, those fail almost all the time. I need to pass ownership of all subzones to the new server.
I was thinking it best to build my own DNS management utility on a VPS. It shouldn't be hard to build a script that creates/deletes DNS zones. I built my entire site from nothing. However, I have little experience with DNS. I need to know:
1) How do I create zones? Where are these files on the server? httpd.conf? If they go in that file, what's a zone file? Why are there other configuration files?
Yes, I have used guides, but some of them tell me httpd.conf and others talk about zone files, but don't mention a location.
2) What is the best type of zone to create? Keep in mind there will be thousands of these created, they need to work reliably, I want ownership of any subdomains transfered, and they are likely to be changed. I have A names now, but I'm thinking NS or DNAME(?) and I don't know how to set those up.
3) Let's say I now want to provide a page for all unused domains (WildCard DNS). How does this integrate with a system such as this, and how do I set zone priority?
4) If I want the main domain to direct to another server (to keep it online if this DNS server goes down) is this possible and how might I do this? I also want a few subdomains to direct to the other server.
5) Is it possible to set up a failsafe server, and how would I do this? (Visitors will go to this server if the main one goes down.)
My domain, at present, is housed with GoDaddy. I have the option to set nameservers, or create nameservers of my own directing to an IP address.
I know how to use SSH for most basic tasks, including navigating, modifying, deleting, etc... I know how to build a bash script. I am an expert at PHP.
Basically, I need to know how you would set this up to work with a couple subdomains, then I can build scripts to do all the rest.