Last Saturday I decided to unhook both computers and straighten out the wires. I was able to get on the internet fine before that. Now I can't get on using the ethernet cable. We have tried running it straight from the cable modem to the computer and nothing. It is giving us a 169 IP address that way. Both computers are running Vista. I have also tried a new Network Card on one of the computers and that didn't help either Any Suggestions

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Tried a new network cable??

Resetting modem might help.

Tried a new network cable??

YES I HAVE TRIED A NEW NETWORK CABLE. i HAVE 2 COMPUTERS AND THEY BOTH WONT GET ON WITH AN ETHERNET CABLE BUT WILL WITH THE USB CABLE. WHEN I CONNECT WITH THE ETHERNET CABLE IT IS GIVING ME A 169 ip ADDRESS

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Odd, normally it would be harder to connect via a usb cable because of the driver issue.

I would have said

1) Try a system roll back ( you'd be surprised, this cures a lot of issues)
2) Try a new network cable
3) Try and new network card, make sure you install the correct drivers.
4) Try a reformat.
5) Throw pc in the bin.

I'm actually going with Chaky here, as remains unresponded to. Seeing that the issue is with both PC's, I'd say is in relation to your modem.

Try restarting the modem, or even resetting to factory settings and re-setup your ISP settings

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.