Hi,

I recently moved and am renting a room with a family in a 3 story home. My room is on the 3rd floor and the router and modem are on the first floor. The owner does not want to go through any walls with cables. I have limited or very low connection and have trouble getting on the internet. I have 1 or 2 bars. When I am on it, it is very slow to move from web pages or sites. The speed is only 12.0 MBPS right now. I feel like I am back on dialup! I have a desktop with windows xp sp 2. I purchased a Belkin N+ Wireless USB Network Adapter. I was temporarily using a borrowed Linksys Ultra Rangemax Dual Band Wireless N Network Adapter that did not get any better connection. They have a Westell modem and a Netgear Dual Band N Router and have a package plan from Verizon Fios.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do to improve my connection since I don't have any control over the router? Would it make any difference if I got a more powerful adapter? Is it possible for me to have my own router also without having a different service? What about a range extender? I see good reviews for this Hawking Technology - Hi-Gain 802.11n Wireless-N Range Extender at Best Buy. Would this be installed in my room or would it have to go with the router downstairs?

As you can see, I don't know much about this subject. In the past, I had Verizon DSL with a router they provided, and I had no problems.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks,

Gail

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I note on the product summary for that router:

Short range; not true dual-band; no Gigabit support;

Hmmm, it has an integrated 4 port switch - can you drop cable down (window to window) and connect directly from your machine to theirs. Or connect your stronger wireless and run an extension antenna up to your floor??

No, that's my problem. The owner doesn't want to do anything like that.

Would the owner be open to moving modem & router onto second floor?

As to signal/range boosters, Hawking Technology offer a couple of more suitable products.

The first would be connected at router end to boost the wireless output signal. The second strengthens the ability to receive the signal from your end.

Hope this helps :)

Why don't you just drop an antenna out your window down to the first floor and i'll bet you'll get full scale signial as long as you use good cable and connectors. the closer the antenna is to the router or AP the better signial you will get...! Good luck enjoy your new high speed connection..

Hi,

I recently moved and am renting a room with a family in a 3 story home. My room is on the 3rd floor and the router and modem are on the first floor. The owner does not want to go through any walls with cables. I have limited or very low connection and have trouble getting on the internet. I have 1 or 2 bars. When I am on it, it is very slow to move from web pages or sites. The speed is only 12.0 MBPS right now. I feel like I am back on dialup! I have a desktop with windows xp sp 2. I purchased a Belkin N+ Wireless USB Network Adapter. I was temporarily using a borrowed Linksys Ultra Rangemax Dual Band Wireless N Network Adapter that did not get any better connection. They have a Westell modem and a Netgear Dual Band N Router and have a package plan from Verizon Fios.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do to improve my connection since I don't have any control over the router? Would it make any difference if I got a more powerful adapter? Is it possible for me to have my own router also without having a different service? What about a range extender? I see good reviews for this Hawking Technology - Hi-Gain 802.11n Wireless-N Range Extender at Best Buy. Would this be installed in my room or would it have to go with the router downstairs?

As you can see, I don't know much about this subject. In the past, I had Verizon DSL with a router they provided, and I had no problems.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks,

Gail

Why don't you just drop an antenna out your window down to the first floor and i'll bet you'll get full scale signial as long as you use good cable and connectors. the closer the antenna is to the router or AP the better signial you will get...! Good luck enjoy your new high speed connection..

She's already said twice now that this is not an option. Wonderful that you're attempting to help, but is more useful to read previous feedback before jumping in

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.