Hi,

Hopefully a simple question but on windows 2000 server how do I add a DNS record for the a simple name i.e. websweeper ? I have tried but each time it adds appends the parent name to the end of websweeper and that is not what I want.

Essentially I want to be able to go to a machine and type ping websweeper and it can resolve the name without any suffix. I know there are other ways such as host files and wins but these won't work in my situation.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

start -> control panel -> dns -> forward lookup zones -> the zone of your domain right click the white space add host (A) record it will append it to the begining of the domain name but if you are on that domain should still be able to ping webswepper. if that does not work add a new zone webswepper then ad an a record but leave the Name blank

you may need to flush your dns cache and reload it for this to work it still may take time to propagate through your network

start run cmd ipconfig -flushdns (enter) ipconfig -registerdns

For any kind of domain names Experience the lookup information for domain name,domain IP and ping details from the website whoisxy.com for free of cost.

Hi viewb4, next time try not to post in a old thread that is already 2 years old. Check the dates next time.

For any kind of domain names Experience the lookup information for domain name,domain IP and ping details from the website whoisxy.com for free of cost.

thank you friend!!

commented: Stop reviving dead thread with you useless post -2
commented: pointless bump -3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.