i am configuring two offices for internet sharing. let assume offices names for them i.e A office and B office. also ADSL router name C
one switch for A office and one switch for B office.
my aim is to take one Ethernet cable from ADSL C to A office and then i want to take one Ethernet cable from A office to B office.

1). plz tell me from C to A and from A to B which cable i use,i.e. straight cable or cross cable.

for A office i will use IP scheme 192.168.0.1
for B office i will use IP scheme 192.168.2.1
my C ADSL router have IP 192.168.1.1

i want to give internet access to the following 4 user.
from A office... 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.7
from B Office....192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.4

so plz how i can assign internet to them.??? plz tell me easiet ways.
thnx in advance

The **Easiest** way would be to give them all the same IP Range.
Is there a reason that you are giving them different ones?
Assign DCHP server to the ADSL Router and it will sort it out.

thnx dear for reply... actually i want to give internet access to some pc... and also want to disable router DHCP.. also plz tell me about the cable type to use.. thnx in advance

actually, there are a few things to consider. Do you mean Switches or Hubs in the offices? (switches have configurable functions - Hubs are just dumb terminals that allow you to connect)
Assuming you just have hubs - normal straight-through cables are the easiest.
Depending on what ADSL router you have - some have the functionality to block internet access (or only specifically allow by MAC address).
Another option is You could give everyone access and then just set the individual machines to point to a non-existant Proxy server in the LAN Settings. Then they wouldn't be able to find the internet.
Why do you want to switch off DHCP on the router?

Dear andymackk, u told that individual machines to point to a non-existent Proxy server in the LAN Settings. how to accomplish this... also told me from router to switch and switch to switch which type of cable to b used?.. also i have belkin router which default IP is 192.168.2.1..... so it means i will configure both switch to 192.168.2.0 class??? plz in detail tell me.. thnx in advance

Dear andymackk, u told that individual machines to point to a non-existent Proxy server in the LAN Settings. how to accomplish this... also told me from router to switch and switch to switch which type of cable to b used?.. also i have belkin router which default IP is 192.168.2.1..... so it means i will configure both switch to 192.168.2.0 class??? plz in detail tell me.. thnx in advance

If your Switches have an IP Address, then yes, set 1 to 192.168.2.2 and the other 192.168.2.3. The Switches may have a button to indicate they are an uplink. Just use straight cables.
Make sure all pc's can ping the router before you go any further.

Restrictions:
First check if your router config can filter internet access by MAC address.
The proxy server idea is very primitive, and only works where the user has no IT Knowledge, but it can be a workround.
Internet explorer -> Tools ->Connections -> Lan Settings-> use a proxy server. Just enter a fake proxy IP like 10.1.1.1.
This will restrict internet access.

Hope this helps

hi dear, thnx for quick response.. for switch A i have 12 user and for switch B i have 10 user..... and let router has ip address 192.168.2.1.
so far switch A i will use ip 192.168.2.1 and for switch B i will use IP 192.168.2.3..... so let for a user in Switch A the configuration will be 192.168.2.10 , subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and what will b the default gateway?? also about the user in Switch B.... thnx in Advance

you say that the router is 192.168.2.1 and then you say that the switch A has the same address. That wont work - you cant have 2 devices with the same IP address. Change switch A to 192.168.2.2.
Everyone (Switch A and Switch B) will have the same default gateway of 192.168.2.1

But I still say... for that many users - you should definately use DHCP for ease of administration

Dear andymackk. thnx for ur valuable tips... now how to block internet for some specific user from both switch A & B?? and i also want that switch A user cannot access Switch B computer/data..... waiting for ur kind reply... thnx in advance and best wishes for u

Please state what kind of Belkin router you have. What Make and model of switches you have. Do you have any servers on Switch A or on Switch B? If so what operating system?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.