pythonian4000 0 Newbie Poster

Hi all,

I live in New Zealand, and am currently setting up wireless internet that is to be shared between four houses on our farm. I am looking for a way to control the fraction of bandwidth and data that each house gets. I also need to be able to log these, for costing (they pay me, and I pay the internet provider).

Bandwidth control looks to be (hopefully) reasonably easy - a GNU/Linux box running either IP-based traffic shaping, so that each house has a set of IP addresses it can use, or having a seperate NIC for each house. Each house would then have a guaranteed fraction of bandwidth it is allowed, and any spare bandwidth is shared between currently active houses. I think something like HTB would work fine, but any suggestions or ideas are welcome. (Logging would be nice here, but not essential.)

The tricky part seems to be the data limiting. I cannot find anything on Google that can help me, probably because internet plans in the USA, Europe etc. don't come with data caps! As before, I want to be able to allocate fractions of the total data cap to each of the houses, and then be able to measure how much they actually use, especially for when they go over their fraction (since the internet provider charges me extra at a horrendous rate for going over the data cap - NZ$50/GB)

Hopefully this makes sense, ask me questions if you need to clarify anything, and thank you for helping!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.