I share an internet connection with another person, and it appears that his computer gets priority over mine with regards to the amount of bandwidth we are allocated. Is there any way of allocating bandwidth manually so that both systems get an equal amount? We connect through a router, and are both using Windows XP (I use Pro, he uses Home). We use a 2 meg broadband connection (although it's more like 2k for me at the moment!l lol).

Thanks for your time :)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Windows has no buit-in bandwidth limiting/shaping capabilities that I know of, although your router might; check it's documentation.

Unfortunately my router didn't come with adequate documentation haha. All it tells me is how to plug it in basically. I scanned through the options in the configuration page though, and didn't see anything that looked like it handled allocation of bandwidth. I could be wrong, because I'm not really sure what I'm looking for haha. I think the best solution for this problem will be personal repsonsibility - i.e. I'll make sure the other guy doesn't leave his computer downloading stuff all day every day :rolleyes:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.