Hi Everyone,

I have two computers at home. A desktop and a laptop. I recently connected them through a Lynksys WRT54g wireless router to share the DSL access between them. That worked alright, but after that I thought that it would be good to get access to the printer hardwired to the desktop from my laptop via the network. And get share files between two computers too.
But there seem to be no connection between the wireless and wired segments.

Can someone explain to me how this problem could be solved.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

If I am reading you post correctly you have A desktop a Laptop , a router (wireless or not) and a Modem (Cable or DSL) and want to be able to use the internet and to share files on both systems.

The systems should have no problem connecting to the router and provided the network cards on both are set to get an IP from the router (DHCP or Obtain an address automatically) you should be able to use the internet on both at the same time. TO get the two to communicate you will need to make sure a protocol is loaded on the XP based system. Go to Control Panel, Network Connections the right click on Local Area Connection and then select properties. When the box comes up look through the list for

NWLink IPX/SPX NetBIOS Compatible Transport.

This protocol is what lets two windows systems see each other and communicate. If it is not listed click the Install button just below the box and select "Protocol" you should see NWLink IPX/SPX in the list. Select it and click OK. It will take a second to load then OK the first screen and reboot the computer.

If you have a Vista system go to Network and sharing center and turn on File Sharing, Network Discovery, and Public folder sharing.

you also mentioned printer sharing... go into your printer preferences and share the printer. keep in mind that you might need the driver for the printer loaded onto the computer that isn't hooked up to the printer.

I've installed NetBIOS on my XP desktop that is connected to the router through wires (LAN segment), but it still can only see itself on the network.

The same story with the laptop, which is connected wirelessly and has Vista as its OS. All the sharing options are on, but it can only identify itself as the sole member of the network...

P.S. Internet is up and works alright on both machines..

Turn off the firewall on both computers, see what happens then

check the settings of your wireless router go to security then firewall uncheck the always block internet anonymously...

check the settings of your wireless router go to security then firewall uncheck the always block internet anonymously...

Tried turning all the firewalls off on both computers and the router as above...
Still no luck...

Hi if your network is set up correctly you should be able to ping the laptop(cmd prompt/ping IP Address of laptop) from the desktop and vice/versa.

Hi if your network is set up correctly you should be able to ping the laptop(cmd prompt/ping IP Address of laptop) from the desktop and vice/versa.

I've got DHCP activated and I do not know how to obtain the IP address of the laptop/desktop. I only know the address of the router and DSL-modem.

I had to reassign the IP address to the router from the factory default 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 since it was in conflict with the DSL-modem address

To get your ip address, go to command prompt and type 'ipconfig'

To get your ip address, go to command prompt and type 'ipconfig'

Pinging the laptop from the desktop (from the wired LAN) was successfull. But I could not ping back from laptop (wireless) to the LAN..

Hi I would suggest go through the network setup on the laptop again depending on what OS XP/Vista/Win 7 this normally corrects the issue. if is Vista on the laptop it is network/network and sharing/connect to network/set up network connection similar in XP.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.