Ok, here's the deal:

My computer is wired directly to my DSL modem/wireless router. The family computer is connected wirelessly as well.

The internet is going through both computers just fine, but neither computer is noticing the other one, and we need to share files and a printer between the two of them. Any ideas here?

Also, when I go to LAN parties at friends' houses, (all wired) I see everything just fine on their computers, and they see mine in the "my network" window, but it never lets them access anything when I have turned on filesharing. It always asks for logon name and pass, and even when I give them my admin account info, it still says they don't have persmission to access it. Help plz?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Are all of your computers on the same workgroup?

At the LAN parties, they were. Haven't gotten a chance to check the new home computer though.

For the computers to see each other, they need to be on the same workgroup. Try that and tell me how you get on.

Yup, they're both on the WORKGROUP workgroup, at both my home network and the LAN guys. Again, the LAN guys can at least see my computer, but they're not allowed in, but at home, neither computer sees the other.

EDIT:
Ok, going to the Workgroup section under My Network Places, I can now see the "Family" computer showing up. However, it's now saying that \\Family is not accessible and that I may not have permissions to access it, when I know I just turned on file and printer sharing over there. The same thing happens on that computer, I can now see mine listed, but it won't let me access it, same error message.

Yup, they're both on the WORKGROUP workgroup, at both my home network and the LAN guys. Again, the LAN guys can at least see my computer, but they're not allowed in, but at home, neither computer sees the other.

EDIT:
Ok, going to the Workgroup section under My Network Places, I can now see the "Family" computer showing up. However, it's now saying that \\Family is not accessible and that I may not have permissions to access it, when I know I just turned on file and printer sharing over there. The same thing happens on that computer, I can now see mine listed, but it won't let me access it, same error message.

I had a similar proble, turn off any firewalls or any security that you may have on your computers and then try.

lol it just got worse. The internet stopped working in there.... aye aye aye... Gonna try resetting modem for that...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.