heres one for all you geeks out there. I have a network connection in my pc running XP SP3 that doesnt seem to be revieving packets. when i do a dhcp configuration it comes up with the ip address 169.254.160.69. and the message on the network icon on the task bar says limited connectivity. upon assigning a static ip address eg: 192.168.1.11 the icon reads connected but i am unable to the network. i tried pinging 192.168.1.1 (dhcp ROUTER) but it says request time out. i tried using the kaspersky rescue disk which has a web browser on its PE and it connects to the internet just fine.

If anyone has any solutions please let me know...i am contemplating formating my hard disk but id appeciate all your suggestions in case i face similar situations in the future.

i think the problem was caused by some virus or malware which i have already removed from the system.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hello,

The address you are seeing is a default when any network card cannot find the DHCP server properly. I have seen this before with XP and the easy way to fix it is to give the card a fixed address (like 192.168.1.15) on the network, then once connected change it back to DHCP and everything will work just fine. Some older cards seem to need to know what subnet on the network they are connected to. You need to know what subnet you are using first and you can find that from one of your working systems. If you need more specif instructions let me know.

I think Download Free Network Monitoring Software for Network Management Needs of IT Pros & SysAdmins.

try subnet 255.255.255.0, then use a web browser and put your gateway(router) in the address line(to access router settings)and if your router has a reset button, try it.(perhaps someone hacked your router)

The 169.254.x.x is an APIPA address. Your computer is configured by default to assign itself an IP when it is configured as a DHCP client and cannot negotiate an IP with the server. If you have another computer on the network, take a look at its IP configuration just to verify what the proper subnet mask is (most likely it is 255.255.255.0). If you still cannot PING the router after setting it to a static IP, there is something else preventing network connectivity. If this computer is wired, try connecting on another port, or connect directly to the router on one of its ethernet ports. If this is wireless, try the wired connection, or try with someone else's computer so that you can determine if the problem is with your computer, or with the network/router. I would suggest that you scope this problem so that you dont start to reimage your computer or spend alot of time and find out that the problem was something simple somewhere else.

you don't get a DHCP address if multiple DHCP servers are on the same network or if you ran out of DHCP leases. I'd check the second...

well...the same thing happened to me today...i think maybe they they hacked through my wi-fi adapter in order to get to my router(DHCP) with a Blackberry...whatever...i noticed real quick and locked them out (by pulling plugs on the wireless) then i looked outside my window and saw some people pretending to be working for the city

well...the same thing happened to me today...i think maybe they they hacked through my wi-fi adapter in order to get to my router(DHCP) with a Blackberry...whatever...i noticed real quick and locked them out (by pulling plugs on the wireless) then i looked outside my window and saw some people pretending to be working for the city

if you get a microsoft genereated address then no one is hacking your computer, you would have to have a valid IP to use. If you know the IP you can get to anyone with persistance and it's not a quick thing to do. Please don't throw in comments to confuse people. I could go into a huge depth of things as far as networking, but to stay short this is far fetched.

what about spear-phishing? ok... i'll shut up..i tend to always imagine the worst..no need to reply, this is not my thread anyway

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.