Hi, I am hoping someone can help me out here. I am having some trouble using the wifi from my router. I got this router from a friend, who has forgot the password. I tried the IP address that he gave me, which was the wrong one, and hence it didn't work. So, I went to reset the router by pressing the reset button at the back. I'm not sure if this is the correct way. But my computer is able to connect to the router, with limited connectivity. But there is still no internet. I've tried to type in http://192.168.0.1 stated on the bottom of the router, but the "internet explorer cannot display the webpage." I have tried other address like 192.168.2.1 but to no avail. I am currently connected to the internet with a LAN cable.

I would really be grateful if someone can help me out here. Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

first step is to reset the router to its default settings and log into the router via a browser.

Even though you have stated that you tried these steps, are you sure that you were succesful on the reset to defaults? What kind of router is this? Have you checked their website for the specific instructions on how to perform a default reset?

If your computer has a manually assigned ip address see to it that its in the same network say it is 192.168.0.2/3/4 , if your computer is in a different network and if your router's default ip is in a different network you would not be able to login to it even after reset.

Right, as they said, make sure the router is completely factory reset. Use the 30-30-30 rule. With power on, hold in reset for 30 seconds, dont let go, now pull power still holding in the reset for another 30, now power it up, still holding reset for another 30.

Now set your laptop to dhcp and plug in via cable to the router. Logon to its gui using default id/pw and start your config.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.