I have a 2002 Gateway laptop running Windows XP that used to find our old linksys router network just fine, connect to it and easily connect to the internet. We had to replace the linksys and bought a new netgear router and now that same laptop will connect just fine to the netgear network but will not connect to the internet. However if I plug it in direct with an Ethernet cable it connects to the internet just fine. What am I missing here?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Try this... connect via Wireless and Ethernet, on each connection, open a command prompt, type ipconfig /all. compare the results of your wireless connection to that of the ethernet connection. They should be identical with regards to ip, subnet mask, default gateway and dns settings.

So, it connects when wiered, but not wireless? I assume that both connection types are using DHCP to get an IP address from the router? As JorgeM said, connect up both ways (you can do that at the same time) and then post the output of "ipconfig /all" here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.