TCP/IP works basically in four layers but sometimes it works in five layers.. WHY?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

It provides applications services to users and programs

commented: first read and then reply +0

TCP/IP consists of four layers: link, IP, transport, and application layers. The OSI model consists of 5 layers. So, where is this question coming from? Observation, or just what...?

OSI model 7 layers
Application, presentation, session, transport, network, datalink, physical

Tcp/ip 4 layers
Application, transport, network, datalink

Some of the sytems(like cisco) use 4 layers for tcp/ip but some of them use 5 layers (Application, transport, network, datalink, physical). It totally depends upon the protocol developed by the system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_protocol_suite#Layer_names_and_number_of_layers_in_the_literature

rubberman you don't have any idea about networking..so just stop replying.

@sdtechi :-) Thanks for the correction. Senior moments, brain farts! You are 100% correct about the 7 layers of the OSI model. But 5 layers are so much simpler! :lol:

And remember that old saw about "standards" - the nice thing is that there are so many!

commented: OSI is a standard model and it has 7 layers. Which is taken worldwide..As i say before you just don't talk anything about networking.. shut your mouth +0
commented: sdtechi leave him alone! +2

srry bout that sdtechi

commented: A kind criticism works so much better than nasty ones! :-) Thanks for your support. +13

@sdtechi - regarding your comment about rubberman. First, you come across as being very rude and arrogant. Second, I guarantee you that rubberman has a lot more knowledge about networking that you do and I don't even know him personally.

If you understood that these models are purely conceptual, you wouldn't be asking these questions. The number of layers isn't really that important. The idea behind the models are to illustrate where and how protocols are related to one another in the TCP/IP communication process. The layers also provide a way to organize similar protocols that perform a similar service.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.