I'm experiencing a networking problem which I asked elsewhere and so this is the problem and this was the solution I was given, unfortunately the solution doesn't work in Windows10.

The problem was non-existant six months ago, which is a latop and a desktop both running Windows10. As of the last few weeks I cannot connect to a shared folder which lives on the desktop from the laptop. When I attempt to connect to the shared folder from the laptop I'm prompt for the login and pass, and I've tried all the login and passwords which I have and nothing is connecting ?

And so this is the solution which hasn't worked.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the shared folder troubleshooter as below and check if it helps.
Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
Method 2: I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the settings.
Go to your hard drive and right-click the folder that's causing all the trouble.
Click Properties.
Click the Security tab
Then click Advanced
You'll see a window with some usernames. Now click Owner in the tabs above.
Click Edit, then select the username you wish to be able to open the folder and be sure to check the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" then hit Apply.

A pop up will come up that says something like 'You have replaced the ownership for the selected folders' or something in that manner.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I would try dropping the share, reboot, and reestablish the share. Also, when you try to log in again from the laptop, make sure the displayed workgroup is correct. If not, then use workgroupname\username instead of just the user name.

Reestablishing the share has now caused none of the computers to have access to the shard folder, rather then just one, arghh.

Lets start with this, from a command prompt run 'net share' and past the out here.

In that list you should see the share the is offered to all laptops.

From the same machine, try mapping a drive to \127.0.0.1\<sharename> and see if it works. Post the results if you get an error.

From a laptop, can you browse the shares on the machine? \<machinename> This should show you all non-hidden shares on the target host. IF that fails you can also try \<ip address> and get results. Let me know if that works/fails.

When you attempt to connect to a share, what error are you getting on the laptop side? Timeout, auth error, etc?

From the same machine, try mapping a drive to \127.0.0.1\<sharename> and see if it works. Post the results if you get an error.

Are you saying I should literally enter the IP 127.0.0.1\<sharename>; Or the the IPv4 Address IP ?

When I use the IPv4 address IP along with the share name as in XXX.XXX.X.XX\<sharename> I get an error; the request could not find host ?

127.0.0.1 is the localhost. From the Machine with the share, if you use \127.0.0.1\ by itself, you should see all non-hidden shares on the host. If there are no shares listed, then definately no other machines on network will see shares.

Using a cmd prompt 'net share' will list all shares including the hidden ones.

IF no shares appear, then you should double check that the drives are actually shared.

Can the main host browse the network?

Shares do appear, including the shared folder; but 127.0.0.1 or \127.0.0.1 is returned as a;
'\127.0.0.1\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.