I was going fair on my Udemy networking course until I go to lesson 47. Subnetting Large Networks Part 2, my brain started smoking. Up to this point I had been dividing the network/hosts on the forth octet. And when counting the bits that I was going to borrow from the host portion of the address I wouldn't even count the bits in the network portion of the address. If it was class C I would only count the bits in the forth octet, if it was a class B I would only count the bits from bit 17 and forward/right, and if it was class A from 9 forward/right. But when I got to this lesson the instructor divides the network on the third octet and for whatever reason he started counting the network bits from the beginning, the very first bit in the first octet. I've attached the file. My network/cicso training has come to a dead stop.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The total number of network bits are calculated from the first bit of the first octet. In class C addressing since the first three octets are for the network, we usually count the number of additional bits from the fourth octet and add it to 24.

You say you’ve attached the file but I’m not seeing a post attachment?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.