I bought a D-Link 524 router last week. I have successfully installed it to the main computer in the house and the dsl modem. I had help from DLink with the configuration.

I installed hardware/software to my son's computer, 2 floors away, and added the configuration information that it asked. The USB adapter link & activity are both on and blinking. My son can periodically see "my" computer on his dlink configuration page but cannot access the computer/shared files/internet.

I am an UNtech but wonder if the problem could be attributed to either:

1. His computer is only P2, 233mhz windows 98se. Dlink says needs 500mhz for the usb adapter. (i didn't know this when i bought it or would have known what his mhz was?) If that is the case why do the link/activity lights function?

2. Could it be a problem with windows>internet options>sharing configuration or any other in that location?

3. Other area windows configuration?

thanks for your help. my son 15yrs saved his money to buy the router so he and his sister can do homework simultaneously and he still can't and is out a fair bit of money.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

1. His computer is only P2, 233mhz windows 98se. Dlink says needs 500mhz for the usb adapter. (i didn't know this when i bought it or would have known what his mhz was?) If that is the case why do the link/activity lights function?

Quite possibly. Most stores return network devices fairly easily, so you may want to exchange it for a Linksys wireless adapter. A few months ago, I bought a Linksys USB wireless adapter to add wireless capabliities to a Toshiba Satellite P1 @ 200 Mhz, and it works great! The setup was painless, and worked almost instantly.

Something you may want to try before returning the device: open up the MS-DOS prompt (acessible from Start->Programs) on the computer with the USB adapter, and enter the following: ping 192.168.0.1 replacing 192.168.0.1 with the IP address of another computer on your LAN. If you don't know the IP address of the other computer, open up the MS-DOS prompt, and enter: ipconfig \all It will display various garbage, but grab the IP address of the Ethernet card, and input this into the ping command on the other computer. If only half the packets or less return after you run it, then I would definitely say that the computer is too slow. Again, it's probably better to go with the Linksys equivalent.

:)Thank you. Your suggestions and directions were excellent. I could follow them easily even while not having a clue what I was doing.

I needed to buy my son a new computer. Now I have 3 of us online with very few tweaks needed.

I'd recommend you to anyone.

Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.