At work, I'm on a network of two computers. My boss set up the network before I ever worked here so I don't know how they set it up but we have this problem that the computer that is connected wirelessly seems to lose internet access on a daily basis and to get it back up you need to shut down both computers and unplug and plug different devices back in. Sometimes the internet on the wireless computer works fine, other times it doesn't work at all. The computers are right next to each other and the router and modem.
I have no idea what the problem is because the network actually works. I can communicate between the computers, I just lose internet access on the one. A box does come up on the wired computer that says that we can now unplug the cable modem.
I don't know much about networks but my boss expects me to fix the problem.
the modem is a SURFboard cable modem SB4100
the router is a linksys wireless-b broadband modem model befw11s4

I checked IE and it is on automatically detect LAN settings.
If anyone can help me, that would be great. This problem has been annoying me for months now.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello,

It almost seems like a DHCP problem. When a computer is using a self-assigned IP address and is connected to a router, then it's common to be able to get access to other computers but no Internet. What's the DHCP lease length set to in the router configuration page? If it's set to 1 hour or less, you should probably extend it.

Are there any other computers that are connected wirelessly to this router?

You shoud also check your computer's internal DHCP settings. Under the Network settings in the Control Panel, choose the TCP/IP protocol under the list, choose properties, and make sure it says something like "Obtain an IP address automatically".

And lastly, you may want to try a different web browser for the purposes of debugging. (eg. Opera)

Hope this helped

1. there are only two computers on the network on a regular basis (atm) but occasionally there are laptops that connect wirelessly but not too often. That might change soon.
2. I checked the DHCP lease length in the router configuration page and it is set to 0 (which they say is 24 hours). Does that mean they should be turning off the computers each night and back on each morning or can I extend that to a few days so it is ok if they leave them on?
Would that be the reason the internet just cuts out on the wireless computer apparently randomly?
3. the internal DHCP settings on the wireless computer are set to detect ip automatically.
4. talking my boss into changing his web browser won't be fun.

I checked the DHCP lease length in the router configuration page and it is set to 0 (which they say is 24 hours). Does that mean they should be turning off the computers each night and back on each morning or can I extend that to a few days so it is ok if they leave them on?

Try extending it to a few days and see what happens. If it stops or is less frequent, then you've probably found the problem.

Would that be the reason the internet just cuts out on the wireless computer apparently randomly?

Possibly. Although DHCP clients are supposed to be able to automatically renew the IP address leases without any dropout, so this does seem rather odd.

4. talking my boss into changing his web browser won't be fun.

I meant for the purposes of debugging, but if that's difficult, don't worry about it. :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.