I have a laptop upstairs connected to a linksys router and a PC downstairs working off the laptop upstairs. I just purchased a new PC to set up in another room and am not sure what i need to do to get it online. I have never had a 3rd computer so am not sure what to do. We use DSL for internet service if that helps. Please advise. Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You should have the following setup already:

• A phone line is connected to the DSL modem. (obviously)
  • The ethernet cable from the DSL modem is hooked into the Linksys router's "WAN" port.
  • The other 2 computers are connected to the router, either by ethernet, or wirelessly.

If the setup I said above is working, adding a 3rd computer should be as easy as plugging the ethernet cable in between the router and the computer, or if it's wireless, selecting the network.

Hope this helps

You should have the following setup already:

• A phone line is connected to the DSL modem. (obviously)
  • The ethernet cable from the DSL modem is hooked into the Linksys router's "WAN" port.
  • The other 2 computers are connected to the router, either by ethernet, or wirelessly.

If the setup I said above is working, adding a 3rd computer should be as easy as plugging the ethernet cable in between the router and the computer, or if it's wireless, selecting the network.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. How do i find out how to select the right network. I have tried doing a few things but am not sure how to find it. It is wireless.

Thanks for the info. How do i find out how to select the right network. I have tried doing a few things but am not sure how to find it. It is wireless.

I'm assuming that the laptop you have is Wi-Fi enabled, or else you should worry about getting a wireless card first. Anyway, there's usually a wireless icon in the Windows system tray. Expand the tray if necessary, and double-click on the icon that shows wireless. In there, you should be able to see any available networks, so select the SSID that matches your router's.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.