I have 3 comps all on router lan. 2 work one dosen't
I can't run the interent connection wizard and there is nothing in the internet connections folder. Its blank. I can't find connections anyware. Also i am still trying to kill ntos tojan.. Any advice?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What kind of router? If it's your typical store bought Linksys/Netgear/D-Link/etc, then you do not have to do anything related to "internet connection wizard".

What do 2 pcs do that the 3rd cannot? Access the internet? Get a little link status light to illuminate?

No idea on the ntos trojan. I stopped dealing with spyware years ago.

What kind of router? If it's your typical store bought Linksys/Netgear/D-Link/etc, then you do not have to do anything related to "internet connection wizard".

What do 2 pcs do that the 3rd cannot? Access the internet? Get a little link status light to illuminate?

No idea on the ntos trojan. I stopped dealing with spyware years ago.

Hey stylish thanks for repsponding. Actually i have network everywhere router. It at one time had all 3 comps on and was fine. Just untill i had the tojan ntos I have been unable to reach the interenet on the one computer. The lights are all on and the cabels are good and all that is good. Just no way for the comp to acces it.

Sounds like the trojan has damaged the HOSTS file. Replace it.

In xp its C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (no file extension but open it in notepad)

It should contain only:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host
127.0.0.1       localhost

The hosts file is just one possibility.

It could have damaged the tcp/ip stack. It could have messed with DNS or IP settings (dhcp vs static).

Did it install a rootkit? (I have no idea what the virus is capable of)

Did only this one pc get the virus or did all three get hit?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.