hey

i have a school project, where i have to build a network (check the image below to see how does it look like)

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/7949/networkra9.png
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/7949/networkra9.png
i have assigned ip addresses to the server, workstations, and routers...
then i tried to add routing protocol..
i.e.:
router rip
network <network address>
network ....

but for some reason i can ping from PC1 to server or PC1 to PC0
but i CAN'T ping PC1 to PC3!!!

i tried looking back at the ip address, subnets, default gateways, routers, routing protocols!!!!!
everything seems logically true!!

what do you think the problem is???
do we need to use static ip route??? even though rhe instructor didn`t ask us to do so!!

any help will be appreciated
thanks

If your sure all the network configuring is good, it's usually a hardware problem, i.e. bad cable, NIC, something with the switch, etc.

Try the following tests. Can you ping PC1 to PC4? If you can, can you ping PC1 to PC3? If you can't ping PC1 to PC3, PC3 has a problem in the NIC or cabling.

If you can't ping PC1 to PC4, can you ping PC1 to Switch2? If you can't, Switch2 is the problem. If PC1 can ping Switch2, can PC4 ping Switch2? If PC4 can't, it still might be Switch2 or the cabling to it from the other side. If PC4 can, try PC3 to Switch2. If it can, try to ping PC1 to PC3 again. Don't be surprised it all of a sudden, PC1 can ping PC3 again. Sometimes, going thru all these tests "kicks something loose" and it works.

Good luck...

If your sure all the network configuring is good, it's usually a hardware problem, i.e. bad cable, NIC, something with the switch, etc.

Try the following tests. Can you ping PC1 to PC4? If you can, can you ping PC1 to PC3? If you can't ping PC1 to PC3, PC3 has a problem in the NIC or cabling.

If you can't ping PC1 to PC4, can you ping PC1 to Switch2? If you can't, Switch2 is the problem. If PC1 can ping Switch2, can PC4 ping Switch2? If PC4 can't, it still might be Switch2 or the cabling to it from the other side. If PC4 can, try PC3 to Switch2. If it can, try to ping PC1 to PC3 again. Don't be surprised it all of a sudden, PC1 can ping PC3 again. Sometimes, going thru all these tests "kicks something loose" and it works.

Good luck...

thanks for the reply,
i figured out that it was an ip address problem
i.e. i had an ip address for pc2, pc3 from different network

You're welcome, glad it was something simple to fix.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.