Why I hate ads
1: some take 5min or more until your favourite tv show comes back on
2: they always show the ads 2 or 3 times in a row
3: the reason though why ads are advertised because people might buy stuff

What they really should do is make a Advertisement channel with all the ads

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Ads are a source of revenue. For example...On this website there are ads. If there were no ads, you would most likely be paying a fee to use the service. Someone's got to pay. Nothing's free in life.

2: they always show the ads 2 or 3 times in a row

if you were presented with 15 ads in a row..you'd probably be annoyed and you would change the channel. The channel provider wouldn't like that. That's not good business.

3: the reason though why ads are advertised because people might buy stuff

Yes and No. The reason why ads are shown is because the channel provider has the audience the advertisers want to get to so they pay the channel provider money. Both the channel provider and advertised do hope the ads work because then that means they are selling stuff and then the channel provider will sell more time to the advertisers. Over and over. If the products don't sell, the company goes out of business. If the channel provider can't sell ads...they go out of business.

What they really should do is make a Advertisement channel with all the ads

Would you watch that channel? Guess what.. No one else will either. That means no revenue. No business. No channel.

commented: air is free... +0

Would you watch that channel? Guess what.. No one else will either. That means no revenue. No business. No channel.

It exists. It's called QVC and HSN.

if you were presented with 15 ads in a row..you'd probably be annoyed and you would change the channel. The channel provider wouldn't like that. That's not good business.

I don't believe that the networks ARE practising good business. At one time, an hour show was about 55 minutes long. In order to get more revenue the networks started selling more ad time (which meant less show time). As networks lost viewers they made up the lost revenue (fewer viewers means fewer ad dollars) by increasing the number of ads. This only got worse faster with the coming of the pay cable channels. People were willing to pay a premium for few or no ads.

So basically the business case has been to continually do more of what has been causing the loss in revenue in order to make up the lost revenue. I no longer watch shows where you get 5 minutes of actual show followed by 3-4 inutes of commercials, especially when, during the show, I have to endure pop-up ads.

Check out the progression

Adventures in Paradise - 55 minutes
The Avengers - 51 minutes
Magnum PI - 48 minutes
Monk - 44 minutes
Scorpion - 42:30
Legends - 40 minutes

We've gone from 1/12 ads to 1/3

Then there are shows which are just advertising vehicles, such as Gadget Man (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gadget-man) here in the UK. Essentially, Richard Ayoade simply holds up or refers to a whole bunch of gadgets, around a very loose theme. Each gadget gets a few seconds of screen time, with a bubble giving the price, and there's a website for more info.

Still not sure how that gets broadcast, or why anyone watches it...

They should like put ads on for at least a little i even recognised on channel 7 and channel 10 and Imparja put harvey normon on 3 times when we already know what we are looking at they should at least put it on once and thats it not 3 or 4 times we already know

Jim, I look at it from the perspective of a content producer who sells advertising. I wonder if the reason for the decrease in airtime also has to do with an increase in special effects, CGI, etc., which all significantly add to production costs per minute. I'm really into sci-fi dramas, and nowadays we're getting some prime time TV series close to theater-quality special effects.

According to Neilsen, while a larger percentage of adults watch TV year over year, a shrinking percentage of youth watch TV, as shows increasingly must compete for eyeballs against the Internet.

I wonder if the 'Internet effect' also creeps into attention span length as far as TV is concerned? We now have an Internet generation which is used to much shorter bursts of information, including video/entertainment, and when they do watch TV maybe they don't want it too much different?

Regarding attention span - I don't know if it's because of the increase in ADD (which I suspect is widely over-diagnosed, if it is even a real condition) but it seems like camera shots are much shorter than they used to be. Also, on news shows there is a lot of eye candy. You don't just have a talking head giving the news. You also have infographics (which do add information) with scrolling colour borders (which do not). And while you listen to one news story there is a constant scrolling banner with completely unrelated news. This relates back to ads where the pop-ups constantly take your attention away from the show. If this happened in any other medium (movies, live theatre, music) this would (squirrel) not be tolerated.

This relates back to ads where the pop-ups constantly take your attention away from the show. If this happened in any other medium (movies, live theatre, music) this would (squirrel) not be tolerated.

Any other medium outside of TV, you say? You mean the way that you can be reading an article on DaniWeb (or just about any other content-based site on the web) and you're bombarded with related articles, suggested content, quasi-targeted advertising, etc.? Certainly not tolerated around these parts, Jim!!!

Actually, I don't find DaniWeb intrusive at all. We have the option of blocking ads, and there are numerous methods (plugins) for blocking thse annoying popups on other sites. As for ads that are mixed with content, as long as they aren't distracting (autoplay videos, flashing colours, etc.) they are easilyy ignored. Any website that I find too obnoxious doesn't get a repeat visit. There are a lot more websites than there are basic cable channels.

I can't imagine why you would even consider using the term "bombarded" for anything DaniWeb related. The "related articles" information is no more obtrusive than a footnote in a book. It's there if you want it but it isn't jumping up and down screaming READ ME READ ME!!!

And even when you have malware or adware and all your web browsers are hostages you get these annoying ads showing iphone 5's when you click too late the malware goes a whole new stage and even my last encounter with this sophisticated adware/malware called Omiga Plus or Qone8 or something like that and even trovi seem to pop up 2 or 3 ads every 10 secs until your browser collapses heres my security opinion.

1: Make sure you do windows update to keep up to date with all hardware.
2: Have good malware protection and update it when it needs to. Avast and Bitdefender are best ones.
3: I actually do this and it is putting a password on a AV in settings just so no one messes around with it.

Now that I get it the Internets one dangerous place.

Ads might seems annoying but on the positive aspect. It is one way to gain profit in business industry. T.V. or entertairment media is also business though it gives entertainment to their viewers through their t.v. show.

Thats right rinston

They do also a great thing to newspapers putting ads in so i could look at computer stuff like PC T&A Magazine

Ads might seems annoying but on the positive aspect. It is one way to gain profit in business industry.

I agree that some ads are necessary and even a good thing. Having said that, would you like people continuously knocking on your door and phoning you to sell you something? Even with the "do not call" laws in place we still get phone calls pestering us with "this is your last call (bullshit) to take advantage of our credit card debt consolidation service". When I get these calls (automated) I press "0" to speak to an agent then give them a blast from a whistle. I realize that some of these people only take the jobs because it's all that is available, but I have no sympathy for anyone whose job is basically making annoying spam phone calls.

Radio and TV are advertising mediums. The only reason there are shows is to get people to watch the ads. Remember that there is an off button, and exercising your right to choose can force improvement.

Member Avatar for diafol

Interesting. If a radio station I listen to regularly (Planetrock) starts with the adverts, I immediately switch over to Teamrock - an inferior station in my view - for one song, then I turn back over. But sometimes, the song on Teamrock finishes after a minute of turning over and I carry on listening for another half hour before I realise. I imagine its the same for a lot of people. But many people must buy into this advertising malarky otherwise those stations would go belly up. Thankfully not everybody is as fickle as me. The advert listeners are keeping my favourite radio staion going. I'm just a leech.

Just another thing, in the UK we have a TV licence that you must purchase if you watch TV (any type). This allows the BBC to transmit without the need to advertise or use commercials. They get their revenue from the licence payers. Many of us begrudge this as I almost never tune in to BBC channels. However, they do provide many services beyond the few TV channels and were I to balance things up fairly, it would seem as extremely good value. Many would argue differently.

I think adverts are good in some sort of way?

I have found plenty of ads that are a lot better then the TV show.

Lately I've taken to watching "delayed" TV by recording the show viewing it later and then using the fast forward button when adds come on. Unless, as the adds flash by on screen, I'm interested in what one has to say. Rarely;
This makes that half hour show into 15..20 minutes!

I am not a prude. I occasionally use "colourful metaphors" and several of the words so eloquently enumerated by the late, great George Carlin. I wasn't offended when my local newspaper recently printed a vulgar ethnic slur (which was what provoked a fight leading to assault charges which were dismissed because the judge felt the assault was justified in the face of the insult). The actual wording of the slur was critical to understanding the story.

Having said that, I am at a loss as to explain why advertisers think that it is clever to allude to off-colour words. For eample, a few years ago, billboards went up around my home town advertising a new radio station. Two of the four letters in the station ID were starred out so the billboard text actually advertised "F**K FM". We also, at that time, had a restaurant named "Mother Truckers". I get it. We're supposed to giggle that it alludes to FUCK FM or Mother Fuckers. But that's not funny (unless you are a twelve year old boy). It's just moronic. Same thing with a new show called Schitts Creek. It's not clever. It's just stupid. I can't believe that the people who come up with this crap got paid five times what I earned actually producing something useful and worthwhile.

Further to my last post, ABC will be trying a new show this fall called, I kid you not, Dumb F*ck. According to the write-up...

Dumb F*ck: Single-camera comedy about an average Joe and his brilliant wife who move in with her intelligent yet emotionally stunted family of geniuses.

I guess $#*! My Dad Says was just too subtle a title and they had to up the ante.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.