I know rproffitt is a moderator on the Tech Republic forums. Does anyone else participate in any other online forums / communities / subreddits / etc? Just curious :)

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Nope. I never found another place that felt as comfortable as Daniweb.

Not recently, unless you count SO.

Sorry for just stumbling upon this now. Rev, do you STILL find DNiWeb comfortable? Pritaeas, are you active on SO? Is it the high activity that keeps you there or are there other actionable things that work there that we could implement here?

Comfortable? Yes, especially with the recent improvements. It just seems snazzier. I would wish for more programming questions (intelligently asked) but that's beyond your ability to provide. I have no interest in endless posts about SEO, backlinks, etc. I think those topics have been beaten to death. I will add that one other site I pop into frequently is the wxPython forum. Although I'm doing less and less application stuff as I have written most of what I need for my own use so I'm frequenting that site less often.

Yes.

SO,CodeRanch,DreamInCode,TheCodingForum, and CodeProject.

commented: You’re active on Dream In Code? +0

Also participating in /r/solar and a techsupport subreddit. The first since we installed solar on the home and I had a few questions beyond what I knew. The second because once in a while I'll know what to try.

@Dani

Not really active, but will visit sometime

Stack Overflow for the Java content

Late, must've missed this.

Pritaeas, are you active on SO? Is it the high activity that keeps you there or are there other actionable things that work there that we could implement here?

Not really active, more a searcher than an answerer. Since I'm doing a lot more .NET I find more answers there than here. It's the content that gets me there.

At the moment I'm mostly doing API integrations, building plugins for our main software to be able to communicate between different (online) software packages.

I'm a long-time moderator on cprogramming.com, but it's getting awfully quiet on many of the old forums.

DiC was a loss, as was devshed.

I seem to be most active now on reddit.

I was talking to Chris (the DiC founder/owner) a little bit before he decided to shut it down. He was saying he's been so busy with his other businesses that he spent maybe 5 minutes on it over the past 5 years, so he lost interest, and it wasn't paying its server costs.

At least in the case of DaniWeb, it also isn't even coming close to paying its costs, but I most certainly haven't lost interest.

As for Devshed, it ended up being sold as part of a bundle of forums (Devshed, SEOChat, etc.) to my friend Jim Boykin, who owns Internet Marketing Ninjas. I was super excited when he bought them because I love having friends also in the forum business who I can talk shop with.

Google then released an anti-forum algorithm, and DaniWeb was hit suuuuuuuuuper hard, as was Devshed. Jim ended up just writing them off as a loss and gave them to Brett Tabke, the founder of Webmaster World, who also runs the Pubcon conference in Vegas I just attended earlier this month.

I was talking about Devshed to both Jim and Brett while there, and apparently neither of them could figure out how to get the database off of vBulletin 3 and onto a more modern system. Apparently there were a lot of plug-ins being used that, according to Brett, left the database severely corrupted and unusable. He ended up selling off the domain names and deleted the databases off of his hdd because he thought they were infected with a virus (Don't ask me lol).

I literally begged Brett to see if he had any versions of the database anywhere that he could give me, and see if I could do anything with it. But he said he deleted them all.

Oh, and as for Reddit, Google has taken a very keen interest in Reddit as of recently. They just began paying them for full access to their internal API to get a stream of all Reddit content. Plus they just very recently IPO'ed a few days ago and their stock is doing quite well. (I bought a little on opening day).

Oh, and that reminds me, ... does Reddit have programming subreddits where you can actually post and debug code a la DaniWeb? I never took Reddit for being an excellent medium for programming.

Yeah, there are sub-reddits for most languages and programming in general.

I'm spending way too much time in https://www.reddit.com/r/C_Programming/ for example.

There's the usual collection of helpful people, pedants, trolls and idiots - but that's true anywhere. The mods seem to be keeping it ticking over nicely.

yeah, reddit also

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.