Hey all!

Hi again!! I am long time member (10 years) here. I have not logged in here since a long time. I see this site has changed a lot in a good way!

I used to visit to daniweb to learn about about new tech/coding using my dialup connection. This has been a uber cool place to hangout. :P

Any long time members? Just dropping to say hi! :)

Hi. 11 years for me.
I used to be very active in the Java forum, but since Dani got rid if it there's been less and less for me to do. Very sad. ;(

commented: 11 years! congrats!! +0

10 years for me. Same comments as James but different languages. Never benn a java fan.

Hi there!!

I never got rid of the Java forum! Converting from a Forum to a Tag doesn't mean it's gotten rid of.

https://www.daniweb.com/tags/java

The conversion to a tag-based architecture was in response to the swiftly declining traffic, not the cause of it. I think people don't realize that because it wasn't as apparent to members how quickly traffic/activity level statistics were decreasing along the way until they were just a whisper of their former selves.

commented: Still in denial over the disastrous destruction of forums. Never listened, never will. +0

Still in denial over the disastrous destruction of forums. Never listened, never will.

So ... I'm listening. Explain to me what functionality you used to have that you no longer do.

Not really listening because you have no intention of ever restoring the forums, you just want to win an argument. That's why you started by diverting the discussion to an area where you can win (functionality).
We did beat this to death at the time. I argued that a web page headed "This is the DaniWeb Java forum" s is very different from a web page headed "search results for tag 'java'". The messages they convey about DaniWeb's interest in Java are obvious. You responded with techy stuff about functionality. We didn't agree. It's your web site so the outcome was inevitable. I'm only angry because I care.

Not really listening because you have no intention of ever restoring the forums, you just want to win an argument.

Haven’t you noticed an increase in member activity recently?

That's why you started by diverting the discussion to an area where you can win (functionality).

I took the discussion in that direction because I fancy myself a platform creator. My objective is to build a platform people will prefer to use over the alternatives out there. The only tools I have at my disposal are adjusting functionality, UI, and UX.

Where does it say anything about search results?

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant I had no intention of restoring the forums to their former glory days. I didn’t realize you meant no intention of going back to a pre-determined list of forums-based structure instead of the hybrid forum/tag structure we now have.

James,

So sorry for coming off harsh the other week. I apologize. I know you are only angry because you care. ;)

commented: It's OK, we're cool. Our disagreements are not personal. ;) +0

For what it’s worth, “Forum Topics Tagged [java]” has recently been renamed to “[java] Forum Topics”.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.