Hello All,

I have my Robots.txt as

User-agent: *
Allow: /

and used the "Robots Meta Configuration" Plugin with settings as shown in the Attachment

Then I ran the Tool to check my Robots.txt Syntax using some Robots.txt tool validator ( http://tool.motoricerca.info/robots-checker.phtml ). I got Errors. Could you please advice.

My Robots.txt file is at http://www.webhush.com/robots.txt

Regards,
Nuklear

This is a "robots.txt" file that anyone can copy and place in thier root directory:

Disallow: /cgi-bin/
Disallow: /admin/
Disallow: /private/

User-agent: Mediapartners-Google*
Disallow:

User-agent: Fasterfox
Disallow: /

User-agent: aipbot

User-agent: BecomeBot

User-agent: psbot

User-agent: Xenu Link Sleuth 1.2g

User-agent: Xenu

Sitemap: http://yoursite.com/sitemap.xml

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copy the above code and save as robots.txt, placing it in the root directory of your website.

Adding the robots meta tag to your main page:

The "NAME" attribute must be "ROBOTS".

Valid values for the "CONTENT" attribute are: "INDEX", "NOINDEX", "FOLLOW", "NOFOLLOW". Multiple comma-separated values are allowed, but obviously only some combinations make sense. If there is no robots <META> tag, the default is "INDEX,FOLLOW", so there's no need to spell that out.

This leaves us with only three variations:

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, FOLLOW">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX, NOFOLLOW">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

Like any <META> tag it should be placed within the HEAD section of the page

Lets take a look at the different parts of the robots.txt file above:

Disallow: /admin/
Disallow: /private/

The global no follow statements: User-agent: name of spider or * wildcard. Using the * or wildcard tells "ALL" spiders to ignore these directory paths. You can protect an entire directory and all of it's subdirectories or just a portion of a directory. Keep it as simple as possible.

User-agent: Fasterfox

This statement is telling the spider Fasterfox that it must ignore the root / directory and all of its sub directories. The forward slash / simply means ignore "EVEYTHING". Just as in the example above you can also tell the spiders they can only access certain directories. This is rarely used since we are focusing on keeping the dirty spiders from crawling any portion our websites.

User-agent: Mediapartners-Google*
Disallow:

Bt leaving the dissallow path empty we are ALLOWING or requesting that this particular user-agent crawl the entire site, except for the paths that we've already placed in the global no follow. In this example we are ALLOWING a Google partner to access everything except the cgi-bin, admin, and private directories which are already blocked.

You can't use "ALLOW:" There is no such command.

Sitemap: yoursite(.)com/sitemap.xml

This is one of the most important aspects of the robots.txt file. Place your xml, rss or txt sitemap file in the root directory and edit this line to that path. When a spider locates the path to your sitemap it drops the crawl and will go straight for the file. The sitemap file will guarantee a much deeper crawl of your pages resulting in a more complete indexing which will better your organic results translating to more traffic.

sitemap.txt: Text formatted sitemaps are limited to 50,000 links or 10 megs in size. You must break your sitemaps up into smaller files if you have a large site with more than 50,000 links.

The bottom line:
The main rule is to keep the robots.txt file simple and easy for the search engines to follow. The above example file includes KNOWN dirty spiders/crawlers that you should avoid. One of the biggest problems with dirty spiders is their lack of accountability. If you've ever loaded your website just to have it sit for a minute or twenty, the chances are very good that you may have a dirty spider on your site doing a massive crawl. These crawls can result in the server resources getting hammered and a zero response from your front end.

Hope this helps you a bit
Cheers

Thank you Sir. That was a very elaborate Explanation and would be useful for so many of us. I would use your Robots Code.

One Last Doubt. Which Meta Robots tag of the 3 do you suggest I must use along with my Robots.txt file as suggested by you.

Also How do I perform this step ( Adding the robots meta tag to your main ) for a Wordpress based site. Should I place this in the header.php or index.php or.. Not sure for a wordpress based site.

Please Help.

HI there, unfortunately I'm a Joomla geek. I'm fairly certain that in wordpress it's index.html if youre running a static main page, but don't quote me on that. I'll have to install wordpress and play with it soon. You'd place this between the <head> and </head> tags just as your other meta tags. Unless there's a specific reason why you'd want to use the other tags the default - <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX, FOLLOW"> - should be just fine.

Cheers

stevenh,

I would like to thank you as well for taking the time to submit such a detailed response. Your post has helped considerably and prompted a bit of research on my part into the subject of bots and the use of a robot.txt file.

I have located a couple of extensive listings of bots, one in particular residing at http://www.botsvsbrowsers.com/, but can someone tell me how you determine a beneficial bot from some sort of undesireable.

I think I may have found my answer. The database at User-Agents.org was very helpful.

Again, thank you for your response in the thread. It provided the motivation I needed to find the answers on my own.

This is all still fairly new to me. My primary concerns at this point are with spam and email harvesting. This is what I've come up with.

Disallow: /images/

# Other bots not allowed

User-agent: 8484 Boston Project

User-agent: Atomic_Email_Hunter

User-agent: autoemailspider

User-agent: bwh3_user_agent

User-agent: China Local Browse 2.6

User-agent: ContactBot/0.2

User-agent: ContentSmartz

User-agent: DataCha0s/2.0

User-agent: DBrowse 1.4b

User-agent: Demo Bot DOT 16b

User-agent: Demo Bot Z 16b

User-agent: DSurf15a*

User-agent: EBrowse 1.4b

User-agent: Educate Search VxB

User-agent: EmailSiphon

User-agent: EmailSpider

User-agent: EmailWolf 1.00

User-agent: ESurf15a 15

User-agent: ExtractorPro

User-agent: Franklin Locator 1.8

User-agent: FSurf15a 01

User-agent: Full Web Bot*

User-agent: NameOfAgent (CMS Spider)

User-agent: NASA Search 1.0

User-agent: Nsauditor/1.x

User-agent: PBrowse 1.4b

User-agent: PEval 1.4b

User-agent: Poirot

User-agent: Port Huron Labs

User-agent: Production Bot*

User-agent: Program Shareware 1.0.2

User-Agent: Progressive Download*

User-agent: PSurf15a*

User-agent: psycheclone

User-agent: RSurf15a*

User-agent: searchbot admin@google.com

User-agent: ShablastBot 1.0

User-agent: snap.com beta crawler v0

User-agent: Snapbot*

User-agent: SnoopRob*

User-agent: Snoopy*

User-agent: sogou*

User-agent: Sogou*

User-agent: sohu*

User-agent: SSurf15a*

User-agent: TSurf15a*

User-agent: Under the Rainbow 2.2

User-agent: User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

User-agent: VadixBot

User-agent: VayalaCreep-v0.0.1

User-agent: Vayala|Creep-v0.0.1

User-agent: Webdup/0.9

User-agent: webhack

User-agent: WebVulnCrawl*

User-agent: Wells Search II

User-agent: WEP Search 00

User-agent: WinampMPEG/2.00*

User-agent: www4mail*

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.