While at InternetWeekNY I heard some people reference something called OpenCalais. It is a service that works with the content you put up (Blog, CMS, website, etc) and creates metadata based on the content. I have been checking out the website for it and I am still not getting the gist of it. Has anyone else seen it or possible even used it and could provide and explanation and/or review of the product/service. The one thing I have picked up on is that the service part of it is free for anyone to use and it has been built to handle a lot of traffic. The big word involved in this seems to be 'semantic'.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Something else I just read about the concept of the 'Semantic Web'. Yahoo just announced the part the played in creating and supporting the new 'common tag'. They claimed that this new tag makes content more discoverable on the web and helps communities create more useful apps for aggregating, searching and browsing the web. Has anyone heard about this and/or has anyone started using this new tag in their SEO efforts?

Hi
I definitely heard of Calais at Semantic meetups. I saw a presentation of it and was very impressed. I read an article that said that major search engines will release a semantic component to their search engines in the near future. The question is, "When is the near future?"

Hi
I definitely heard of Calais at Semantic meetups. I saw a presentation of it and was very impressed. I read an article that said that major search engines will release a semantic component to their search engines in the near future. The question is, "When is the near future?"

With Yahoo talking up this new tag, it looks like the future is sooner than we think. Everything I read about this talks about makes me think that these semantic tags are going to be more helpful with local searches as the goal seems to be more searching more on regular phrases rather than optimized search terms geared toward high page rank but that is just my humble opinion.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.