Here is the procedure...
1. Install FF SEOQuake plugin. It will be needed for searching.
2. Go to adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
3. Type the main keyword that you want to research, I suggest use exact match.
4. From the result that google provide, try to find long tail keywords 3 or more words, at from 800 - 5000 search per month is okay but if you see more higher searches you can get it..put it on the excel to organize.
5. Time to check your keyword for competition,it is the critical part of the keyword research.
6. Go to google.com , be sure that you activate your seoquake, then start searching for the keywords that you get from google keyword tool. After seeing the results, using the SEOQuake plugins check the PR of the top 10 search result. If all the top 10 results is pr 0 or n/a for sure it is easy to target the keywords... You only needs 5-20 back links for you to be on the first page.
It is hard to find the keywords that you will target that has a PR 0 n/a in the top 10 results, But if you gather it all, it's just like you are mining gold.