Is it necessary to add the plural form of keywords into an AdWords campaign? In other words, would I need to have keywords: widget, widgets, blue widget, blue widgets, red widget, red widgets, etc?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I say probably not, although I do not know for sure.

I would figure google has the sense to make it a full word match. Since "widget" is contain within "widgets" it will most likely bring up a match.

That is what I have always thought. However, I recently received a complimentary Google AdWords optimization, and it included singular and plural of most keywords ... which is why I'm now confused.

That is what I have always thought. However, I recently received a complimentary Google AdWords optimization, and it included singular and plural of most keywords ... which is why I'm now confused.

I think it depends on what kind of match type you are using. If you are using broad match, you will recieve traffic from all plurals. However, if you are using exact, you may not. Some advertisers use this as a way to determine if there is difference in quality of traffic based on plurals or not.

mgru

Hi there! New to the board!

I spent a fair bit of time doing SEO and PPC campaigns, and only on occasion have I felt the need to add pluralized forms withing my keyword baskets.

That is interesting that they've included pluralizations withing the Adwords optimization thingie the gave you- I wonder if they added it because it was an easy little "tweak" that most people don't take the time to do?

They added quite a few hundred keywords, and I gave them no minimum saying "I want at least X keywords", so I can't see it being that they just wanted to pad the list. There must be some rationale behind it we're just clueless about.

They added quite a few hundred keywords, and I gave them no minimum saying "I want at least X keywords", so I can't see it being that they just wanted to pad the list. There must be some rationale behind it we're just clueless about.

You might find this interesting. :)

I know a lot of people like Wordtracker ... Google's keyword suggestion tool (the one built into AdWords) is all I really rely on. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.