I was reading a site where the author listed the following 3 barriers for companies in terms of acceptance/involvement in Social Media Marketing:

1. The Business Case: most need hard data to justify the investment of time, energy and resources (people) in social media.

2. Limited Understanding and Resources: few brand marketers know what to do, where to start or how to plan and budget for a social media campaign.

3. Scarce Capabilities: While there's no shortage of self-proclaimed SM experts, great players are not necessarily great coaches. Few have the knowledge and skills to develop a strategic plan. Twitter is a tool, not a strategy.

Admittedly, I have dealt with 1 & 2 recently but are these barriers also to companies developing online communities once they have gotten into social media marketing? I know it sounds like an odd question but I have heard of companies who get themselves all set up with social media channels and then start to ask 'Now What?' once their presence is established.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

A client posed the same question to me recently. Many people believe that creating profiles on various social media communities is all that is needed. This is just a tactic and not a strategy. The strategy involves thinking and executing:
1. Brand's positioning
2. Brand's messaging
3. Setting tone
4. Ensuring that all the social media tactics evoke the same positioning and messaging to strengthen the identity
5. Getting dirty with keywords, products, services, and really making these profiles alive with the business' offerings.

A client posed the same question to me recently. Many people believe that creating profiles on various social media communities is all that is needed. This is just a tactic and not a strategy. The strategy involves thinking and executing:
1. Brand's positioning
2. Brand's messaging
3. Setting tone
4. Ensuring that all the social media tactics evoke the same positioning and messaging to strengthen the identity
5. Getting dirty with keywords, products, services, and really making these profiles alive with the business' offerings.

Thanks for the feedback but I think you were thinking of one of my other posts when you posted this reply here.

Well its inter-related. The "Now what?" factor comes in the maintenance phase of social media plan. Furthermore, additional tactics/strategy that is implemented after the "Now what?" needs to keep it inline with the factors I mentioned earlier.

Well its inter-related. The "Now what?" factor comes in the maintenance phase of social media plan. Furthermore, additional tactics/strategy that is implemented after the "Now what?" needs to keep it inline with the factors I mentioned earlier.

I agree they are inter-related, I just saw your reply and it read so much like the reply to the other one that it did not seem pertinent to the initial message. No worries, all info is good info.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.