I read about a lot of people who ranked their site without building a single link. Does posting great content or building a great site can get you ranked higher? What if I'm in a competitive niche, do I need to build links? Or should I post my content to Social Media and wait for links to be built?

Some time ago, Google has announced that you don't have to put links in order to rank your website higher.
Externals links are hyperlinks which takes user to some other linked page. But according to stats 99.2% website uses at least one External link for their website. So i Would suggest you to put atleast one hyperlink/External Link.
There is a difference between Correlation and Causation.

Happy to help...:)

I don't prefer to wait... and be dependent only on social media. There are other legit (Spam free) ways to promote your great content. If your content is great then further promotion will be done automatically but atleast you should start first and spread it to some extent.

Social Media is great option but there are other option too. Spend some time on that resources too.

Link building still matters a lot. Infact Google never say Link building is not important - Google just say that linked building through spamming activities is now not important as there algrithm are enough smart to detect such spam now.

Content Management and its Promotion is equally important. "Content is King" but there are many article with great content with very less views just because of lack of proper promotion.

With these promotion your site view increases and google detect more visits on your site(Here less bounce rate and time spent on page matters) which ultimately results in high ranking for your article.

You can increase your ranking without bulding backlinks but then it will take long time and patience. Moreover if you are not building back links then your strategy of promotion must be good enough or in other words you must use other on page and off page activities.

No you can't rank your site on google without link building. because Link building is most importyant for ranked any site on Google.

Well, if you want to boost your website then only back link buildup is not only the best way to increase the website ranking or performance. Because back link just help to get the ranking the major factor is on-page SEO user friendly website. On-page seo and user friendly website is one of the main factor to increase website performance and ranking. So, If you think that you will get the website ranking on behalf of back linking then you are wrong. You have to do main focus on on-page seo and user friendly website. Thank-You

No its not possiblebecause without any link buiding you can't rank any site in google.So Link building is most effective for ranked site on Google.

commented: Very late reply. Leave old posts where they are. -3

Link building is important without this you can not rank in any google site. And with the help of link building you can receive traffic from other websites and more visibility of your blog in search result

No, You cannot rank your website without link building because when you have a high authority domain backlinks the google boot crawl your site and rank your site.

Despite what Google might say publically, backlinks are the single largest ranking factor, at least for keywords that are even mildly competetive.

While you don't necessarily need to personally build links, you do need to have links to make your site rank. inks from social media sites are still links.