Is it possible that a motherboard fan will not spin because of a broken CPU? Or would it be the mobo's fault?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Is it possible that a motherboard fan will not spin because of a broken CPU? Or would it be the mobo's fault?

no,its either a bad fan or a bad power supply,and /or non-working motherboard, .no power going to fan .not the actual CPU

the function of the CPU has no direct effect on the CPU fan. both are independent of each other. the will not work for the reasons stated by caperjack, but not due to the CPU

echo echo echo

Okay. Thank you everyone. Because I took off the heat sink and powered on (dangerous I know!) to troubleshoot a machine that didn't post and whose fan didn't spin. The CPU didn't get hot at all, so its a bad mobo, right?

so its a bad mobo, right?

sounds like it .does the power supply fan come on

I made a stupid mistake. Silly me. I forgot to plug in the 12V thing from the power supply into that place next to the CPU. Thank you everyone

I made a stupid mistake. Silly me. I forgot to plug in the 12V thing from the power supply into that place next to the CPU. Thank you everyone

lol,been there done that!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.