I am looking to upgrade my compaq presario 5108us memory from 128mb 100 to two 256 mb 133 to give it 512 mb total. The trouble is I am unsure what I can actually use because the manufacture says I can use 100 or 133 and when I go to place an order the places I look to place an order says I can only use 100, I really am torn on this issue because I would like 133 for more speed but dont wanna buy something I cant use and waste my money. The part numbers that compaq gives me for these memory sticks are for 256mb 100/ #com04225 the other is for 133/ #com15581 but of course these are non existant when you do a search to do a comparison. Can someone help me to compare memory so that I get the correct one please? The memory I found is at http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=220025 and I am not sure if it will work. Thank you in advance for all your help!!!

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

TY compdoc, may I ask do you know if that would be the best buy because 44 dollars seems so high from other prices I have been seeing around for memory. Do you have any idea why my memory is so expensive when compared to other memory? I just dont get it. Im not sure I want to spend another 90 dollars on this 8 year old pc. It seems like its getting slower and slower every day and i barely have anything on it at all (95% free space). Please any suggestions would help, TY again.

in all honesty a new computer would be a better buy, but yes I would recomend to buy RAM from a well known place even though it is a little more expensive. Memory for your computer may be more expensive than others just because of the age of your computer.

As far as you computer running slow we can work on that.

First what windows do you have on the computer and do you have antivirus software.

My windows is XP and I have charter highspeed security suit. This is anti virus and spyware all in one and is offered through my isp (charter communications).

OK well we can start by cleaning up some of the temporary internet files.

click on start>control panel> Internet Options

then when the Internet Properties dialog box appears click on delete under Browsing History

then delete Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and History, you can also delete form data and passwords if you want to.

ok after you do that, on the bottom right side of your monitor there is the system tray or notification area its next to the clock. if there are any programs open there right click on them and exit out of them, you might not be able to close all of them and thats ok and you can leave your charter highspeed security suit running.

ok now click start>run

in the field type prefetch

when the window pops up select and delete all the files, if some of the files do not delete thats ok just delete as many as you can. now close the prefetch window

click start>run

and in the field type %temp%

if there are files in this window delete them. if some of the files do not delete thats ok just delete as many as you can.

ok now go to this website below and download the registry cleaner and install it and then run it , scan for registry issues then repair registry issues.

it is free but when you run it it will ask you to register it just click skip for now and you can register it later if you want to.
http://www.tucows.com/preview/501701

and then now its time to defrag click start>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmentor

when the defrag window opens click analyze if it tells that you should defragment then click defragment

then your done you should see an improvement. if you dont let me now and we will take it a step further.

These are some of the things I do every day is to clean out unused and cookies and build up from surfing etc and i did a defrag even tho my pc analized defrag to see if it was needed and it said it wasnt needed. I seems like it is my isp not the pc itself. Because when I do speed tests it seems my download and upload speeds are slower then they should be. Is there something I can do to speed this up or do I have to call them to have them check this? What happens is when I am surfing it takes much longer then it should to change web sites and this has been worse lately then in the past.

it very well could be the connection from you ISP or it could be the websites you visit also, the more traffic a site recieves the slower it gets. if you really think there is a problem with the connection I would call to see what they could do about it.

My favourite free proggie for cleaning up windoze is CCleaner (formerly crap cleaner, lol). You can find it here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
The download link's in the top right hand corner.

Once a week I run a cleaner scan and and an issues scan. In the tools menu you can make a list of cookies you want it to keep (default settings will delete ALL your cookies, so you need to have a look at this).

The installer will ask 'do you want the Yahoo toolbar?' I strongly recommnend unticking this option, there's no use for this toolbar.

If you want to spend money, Tune Up Utilities is significantly better, but it costs money.

These are some of the things I do every day is to clean out unused and cookies and build up from surfing etc and i did a defrag even tho my pc analized defrag to see if it was needed and it said it wasnt needed. I seems like it is my isp not the pc itself. Because when I do speed tests it seems my download and upload speeds are slower then they should be. Is there something I can do to speed this up or do I have to call them to have them check this? What happens is when I am surfing it takes much longer then it should to change web sites and this has been worse lately then in the past.

problems with 8 year old laptops and todays internet is all the software that the internet pages use to play music stream video and so on .if you really want to use the lapt top to surf at higher speen then you will need the added ram to do so! i have 2 old laptops and surf fairly well ,but reall don't use them much and when i do its just to read news papers .

ty for the advice, actually this is a desktop compaq presario that is having issues, I doubt that makes a difference but I am looking into memory for it just really did not want to spend an arm and a leg for it since the pc is atleast 6 or so years old (guessing age) it actually came with ME and I put XP on it because it was easier to format with xp since it recognized mostly all the hardware and ME did not and ME is obsolete anyways. So does anyone have input on generic memory as in how it preforms compared to name brand? Calling isp in a bit and let ya know how it goes, TY Compdoc.

So does anyone have input on generic memory as in how it preforms compared to name brand? .

You won't notice any difference .i use generic in a lot of computer i build and sell

ty for the advice, actually this is a desktop compaq presario that is having issues, I doubt that makes a difference but I am looking into memory for it just really did not want to spend an arm and a leg for it since the pc is atleast 6 or so years old (guessing age) it actually came with ME and I put XP on it because it was easier to format with xp since it recognized mostly all the hardware and ME did not and ME is obsolete anyways. So does anyone have input on generic memory as in how it preforms compared to name brand? Calling isp in a bit and let ya know how it goes, TY Compdoc.

you are very welcome, generic will work if thats the way you want to go, but you should keep in mind you get what you pay for. If you dont plan to have that computer for that long then go ahead get generic but if you are going to keep it still, for a while then I would go with the name brand.

well my idea is to keep it long enough to make some some money working from home with these online jobs that I have applied for, I met someone that does it and she is showing me where to apply and what to do to land one so as soon as this gets rolling I am going to be getting something much better because this one isnt able to online games line warcrest and My husband and I both want to be able to play and at this time my puter is just not able to handle it.So if I do decide to go with generic memory will this work>> http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=220025 and ty for all the feed back and help thus far.

yeah, I believe that memory will work it looks like it matches what your computer needs

I believe that generic RAM will suit your needs, try slickdeals.com to locate the best price, if you can't find it there try Newegg.com and sort by reviews. Best Wishes, Mav.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.