My PC having the following configration....
Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz
256 RAM
hard disk - western digital (80 Gb)
recently replaced my hard disk (on 7/08/08) because the vendor said there was problem with the controller as it took a long time to strat up and even my pc was refusing to start many times.
but the problem ie the shuttingdown of my pc is as it is...
My PC would frequntly shutdown if more than 2 or 3 windows wre opened at a time, or if I play games like IGI...
should i increase the RAM?
Or there is problem with the fan?
Or any thing else is troubling....?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

hi, i think that is a problem with the RAM. becouse as you said that when you open 2 to 3 windows it shuts down, too small memory nomally makes the machine behave that way. however similar charateristic should be even with slow boot process, slow in loading an application programe or frequent hunging of the machine.

Try increasing the memory of your PC or Unistall programs that you are not using them frequently. Also make sure that drive C: does not contain unuseful data. save any other information apart from programe files in other partitions or drive.

I have changed my RAM to 512mb with freq 400hz still i am facing the same problem specially if i start with the games,reading CD.My computer shuts down abruptly.

The m/c is completely shutdown and computer does not start again unless I put off the power from mains and wait for a few mins

please help to sort out this problem...

thats so not true according to my experience. what does event viewer say when start indows again. it should give you a lead.

your computer then may be affected by a virus. try scanning it with an updated Antivirus to see if the problem can be solved

does it give you any error messages when shutting down or when booting back up? try starting it up in safe mode(press F8 while booting) then open a few windows. if it doesn't shut down then you have a virus

How old is the hard drive?It could be a hard drive failure.

Is the processor dual core?

Is the processor dual core?

People need to read the ENTIRE post before replying..
He said in his original post that it was a Pentium 4(single core)
and that he replaced the HDD on 7/08/08 so the HDD is only a few months old, and that wouldn't matter anyway because he had the problem prior to replacing the hard drive.

orginal post may be long gone ,im thinking it couls be the power supply ,sometime known as a psu or a sps

orginal post may be long gone ,im thinking it couls be the power supply ,sometime known as a psu or a sps

I like the way how you posted you're post this time around.hehe
I just call it a PSU
[If you're know what Im refering to]

. and in trying so hard to be politically correct i miss spelled couls!=could, LOL

commented: LOL +3

. and in trying so hard to be politically correct i miss spelled couls!=could, LOL

LOL:D

LOL:D

and yes, i did know what you were referring to !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.