Hi,

Phenom X3 8450 and Athlon X2 6000+ cost the same ,I do not know which one to buy.

AMD Phenom X3 8450 Triple Core Processor
(2.1GHz, 2MB, 1800MHz FSB, Socket AM2+)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Duel Core Processor
(3.00 GHz, 2MB, Socket AM2)

Help me choose please.

Contributors
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by The New Normal

It depends what you're using it for.

In almost all cases the 6000+ will do better. The X3 will benefit from the extra core in some situations, like picture/video rendering and a handful of games.

Personally I'd be looking at spending a bit more and getting a top quad like the 9950 black edition. At the very least a faster 3 core like the 8850 at 2.5GHz.

Here's a comparison of the 8450 to the 6400+ and 6000+. The 6000+ beats it in everything except Supreme Commander, video and 3D rendering. It must be painful for the AMD techs to see results like this from it's newer products.

Here's a copy/paste from a review:

The three cores simply aren't quick enough, individually, to make this triple-core product look appealing. They're a liability in single- and dual-threaded tasks, where the X3 8750 sometimes falls behind the much older Athlon 64 X2. The X3 8450 almost always does so.

From here.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.