I have an Averatec 3200 series. I had just started to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows when the drive stopped reading the disc. I have an external dvd drive but I don't know how to get it to work as I have no OS. I've read other threads that say to configure BIOS to recognize peripherals but it all sounds like greek to me. I really need some step by step instructions on how to get Windows back on my laptop. Anyone? Please?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello what you need to do is reconfigure the boot priority to boot from the external dvd drive.

The first step should be getting into the BIOS. When you turn on the laptop you need to press a key like del or F10 to enter the BIOS.

Then you need to find the boot order and ensure that USB CD/DVD drive is at the top. Instructions for navigation and selection should be on the screen.

Ultimatley what you need is the BIOS configured to boot from the external drive.

- Let us know if you need any help.

If you are uncertain about anything you have done in BIOS exit without saving changes otherwise save changes and exit.

I have an Averatec 3200 series. I had just started to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows when the drive stopped reading the disc. I have an external dvd drive but I don't know how to get it to work as I have no OS. I've read other threads that say to configure BIOS to recognize peripherals but it all sounds like greek to me. I really need some step by step instructions on how to get Windows back on my laptop. Anyone? Please?

You could always install using a thumb drive :D

You could always install using a thumb drive :D

Yes you could, but given the author of post has admitted to not being overly technical, simply telling him that, without any points on how to do it really isn't that helpful.

Personally I think he'll find switching boot priority to use the disk he already has in the external DVD player much simpler :)

Yes you could, but given the author of post has admitted to not being overly technical, simply telling him that, without any points on how to do it really isn't that helpful.

Personally I think he'll find switching boot priority to use the disk he already has in the external DVD player much simpler :)

Yeah, sorry I just wanted to throw that out there. :]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.