I'm not sure if anyone can help with this one, but I'll give it a try. I took my cpu in for service about five weeks ago. The optical drive had gone out, and I had warranty left to replace it.

The shop I took it to did a diagnostic on it, decided there was a problem with the motherboard, removed the motherboard without my permission and sent it out for repair.

After four weeks I got the cpu back, the optical drive was replaced, but after they reinstalled the motherboard, the fan on the computer comes on and runs very loudly whenever the screen saver kicks-in. It also happens when I go from one site to another on the internet.

I looked at the motherboard to see if something had gotten disconnected, but found nothing. Does anyone have an idea as to why this could be happening? It's very frustrating, and I can't leave the computer on because the fan will just come on and get very loud.

Thanks so much!

I am not an expert but I have had a fair few fan problems with my current laptop.

One thing that you could check is see what the CPU load is when the screen saver is on, if the CPU load increases then the fan will go on to cool it down. the load is graphed by task manager in the performance tab. *At least on XP*

that will help determine whether the fan is working abnormally now or was it not working before and you just never noticed.

Another thing to try is see is your BIOS up to date. My problem was solved through a combination of updating my BIOS and Graphic card drivers.

If it hapening with screensavers do you have a sleep or hibernate mode or disable the screen saver? They won't fix the problem but may be a work around.

I am not an expert but I have had a fair few fan problems with my current laptop.

One thing that you could check is see what the CPU load is when the screen saver is on, if the CPU load increases then the fan will go on to cool it down. the load is graphed by task manager in the performance tab. *At least on XP*

that will help determine whether the fan is working abnormally now or was it not working before and you just never noticed.

Another thing to try is see is your BIOS up to date. My problem was solved through a combination of updating my BIOS and Graphic card drivers.

If it hapening with screensavers do you have a sleep or hibernate mode or disable the screen saver? They won't fix the problem but may be a work around.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try updating the motherboard bios. I'm sure the fan was working before, so I don't think that was the issue. Also, this doesn't just happen when the screensaver comes on. It happens whenever I switch from one application to another. It's very strange.

I looked at the motherboard to see if something was disconnected, or even connected incorrectly. But I couldn't find anything. So, we'll keep trying.

Thanks again. I appreciate your input.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.