Hi,
Hope someone can give me advise. Our desktop computer (XP Pro) was working fine then suddenly the monitor would go dark then back on, now it won't go on at all. A friend brought his monitor over (that he knew worked) and his wouldn't work on our system either. He said maybe a graphics card. (??) I hate to buy one and find out it isn't the problem. Does anyone have suggestions? and if I need a graphics card, what is a good one to go with?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Debbie

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Debbie Have you tried taking out graphics card and then reseating it. Or checking the device manager to see it there are any faults under graphics. Posssibly trying to remove and reinstall graphics driver by removing it from device manager and then rebooting.

Debbie Have you tried taking out graphics card and then reseating it. Or checking the device manager to see it there are any faults under graphics. Posssibly trying to remove and reinstall graphics driver by removing it from device manager and then rebooting.

No, I haven't done anything yet. My friend was going to bring a graphics card over and see if that worked but he's been sick and hasn't been over yet.

How do I check the device manager if I can't see the screen? I really don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks so much for replying.

Debbie, if you haven't got access to spare parts which you can swap in and out of your PC to isolate what the problem device is, then your best alternative is to drop it in to a repair shop and have a technician identify what the problem is for you. (Don't authorise repair work - just get a report)

Then come back here and we can advise what sort of components are going to be suitable and cost effective. No real sense in flying blind on guesses.

If it comes down to it, and you need a new graphics card, I suggest the 3Dlabs Wildcat Realizm 800 PCI Express 640MB DDR3 Video Card :D......

Price: $2185.00

Worth every penny -tears and wishes he'd ever have the gaul to buy something like that...-

errrrmmmmmmmmm............

No. Just no!

Debbie, if you haven't got access to spare parts which you can swap in and out of your PC to isolate what the problem device is, then your best alternative is to drop it in to a repair shop and have a technician identify what the problem is for you. (Don't authorise repair work - just get a report)

Then come back here and we can advise what sort of components are going to be suitable and cost effective. No real sense in flying blind on guesses.

Thank you, that sounds like a plan. I really don't have the parts, plus don't know what I'm really doing. :)

The computer is XP prof, what is a decent graphics card (without spending a fortune). My daughter plays Sims on it so I'd want it to be good for that.

I had the computer looked at and it does need a card. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Then I'll need your help in putting it in the machine!

Thank you! :)

Could you please install and run CPU-Z and report back about what that utility identifies your processor and motherboard as?

Could you also give an indication of what your budget for the upgrade is?

Could you please install and run CPU-Z and report back about what that utility identifies your processor and motherboard as?

Now I'm going to sound stupid, but how do I install the CPU-Z if my monitor is black and I can't see what I'm doing? Thanks for your help.

Oh, and I would like to keep it under $150, if possible.

Thanks

ooops.......

:D

Do you know what processor and motherboard you have?

ooops.......

:D

Do you know what processor and motherboard you have?

Sad thing is I had the computer built for us about 4 years ago and I really don't know what he put in it. I can look through my papers to see if there were any specs but I doubt it. It's a Pentium 3 but that's about all I know. sigh..

Then a budget level 3D card would be suitable for you to use. You need to determine if your computer motherboard has an AGP slot in it, and I'm afraid I'd have to recommend that you get the technician at your local PC store to look at it for you, as some older motherboards are not suitable to use modern AGP 8X cards in.

If you need an older card eBay might be the appropriate place to get one.

You could open up the case and see if there are any identifying markings on the motherboard which would help us work out what make and model it is.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.