earlier today i was using my gateway (read, ultimate crap) laptop on plug power, as always (i like to save battery for car and plane) and it worked fine, as always. i packed it up to bring it to new york, try to turn it on here - and it wont. the outlet is not the problem - the plug has that little green light that shows it's receiving electrical power. but when i push the power button on the laptop, nothing happens. even with the battery inside, it does not show that the plug is attached. what do i do to make my power cord work again? im scared to even use it on battery power bc it wont recharge!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for Boondockers

If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage on the adapter pug that goes into the computer.
I suspect you have a very common electrical connection break on the power jack soldered to the mother board.
You didn't mention your model number but I think you can find the service manual at this website.
http://tim.id.au/laptops/gateway/
I just successfully replaced a power jack on a Gateway M305 and couldn't do it without the manual
There are about 50 screws to remove in a certain order. Some are black some are chrome, some are 2.0 mm most are 2.5 mm in size and different lengths.
If you do attempt a power jack repair make several drawings to identify where you removed the screws from. I kept mine in those pill containers with Sunday through Saturday on it.
I got stuck removing the cooling fan and couldn't proceed with out the manual.
I also invested in a $10 soldering iron, $5 worth of flux, and $4 de-soldering braid. I already had rosin core solder. That repair was successful so I am ready to attack another. A new jack cost $5.
Had to disassemble the laptop 3 times.
Of course there are technicians that will do the repair for you for about $100. Just Google laptop power jack repair, to find one.
It is not necessary to replace the motherboard.

Hi,

The Spiceworks IT Desktop delivers nearly everything you need to simplify your IT job. Available in a variety of languages, Spiceworks' single, easy-to-use interface combines Network Inventory, Help Desk, Mapping, Reporting, Monitoring and Troubleshooting. And, it connects you with other IT pros to share ideas, solve problems and decide what additional features you need in Spiceworks. And, the best part? It's free, thanks to top technology vendors that sponsor Spiceworks. After all, you should spend your money on cool new hardware and software for your company, not expensive management tools.

Thanks
David

SNIP

Sometimes the chargers will only last a few years. They are fairly cheap on ebay. If you can check it with a voltmeter, could save you some $$$, as suggested.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.