Hello.

I'm in possesion of this laptop with an old Pentium Dual-Core T2080, of socket type PPGA478 (says Intel web).

I wanted to upgrade it, and found a lot of processors called PGA478.

So now comes the billion dollar question: Is there any difference? Can I use the PGA processor in the PPGA socket?

Thanks! :)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

not positive ,not sure of all the but i took a Mobile p4 478 out of a imb laptop and put it into a dell tower p4 478 and it works ,
i think for you the biggest problem would be heat ,as i think the PGA478 is for a well ventilated tower and the PPGA478 is[mobile or sentrino] for laptop and is designed to run cooler

But the PGA478 CPU's I'm looking at is after all called a Mobile Processor, so shouldn't it be made for running in laptops?

But the PGA478 CPU's I'm looking at is after all called a Mobile Processor, so shouldn't it be made for running in laptops?

should work then if its a mobile chip, do they say that the PGA478 is a dual core

Yep it is a Dual Core.
And the PPGA I already have, is too.

so as I see it, its the same form just with some plastic somewhere? So it should be no problem connecting the PGA478 CPU to the socket where the PPGA478 CPU used to be?

so as I see it, its the same form just with some plastic somewhere? So it should be no problem connecting the PGA478 CPU to the socket where the PPGA478 CPU used to be?

it will work, its the same PPGA is often abbreviated PGA. no difference

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.