Okay I'm trying to get this computer to run, but it is eating the floppy discs I'm putting into it. I make an MS-DOS startup disk in this machine, it works fine, I restarted with it in to make sure it works, and it worked fine. I put the disk into my other machine, nothing happens, it starts up normally, I switch the drives, still nothing. So I come back to this machine and try to une the floppy, but it says 'No ID address mark was found on floppy'.

Something similar was happening with the cd rom drive in the computer as well. It didn't eat the disks though, it just wouldn't read them. I was trying to install Linux, as the ocmputer started up it would go into the program to start installing Linux, it would start up partially then it would say something like 'Searching for cd-rom' It was similar to that, and it would just freeze up right there, it did it with 2 different disks of Xandros, and with another distro called Ark Linux.

I don't know what to do, I've tried 3 different floppy drives and I can't get any of them to work. The cd rom works all the time, it was just messing up when i was trying to use it, I just hope it doesn't mess up again when I try to reinstall Windows. Any ideas as to why my floppy is eating my disks? The computer I'm trying to get running I don't know the exact specs, it is running Windows XP Professional right now, and I know it's an AMD Thunderbird 1.1Ghz CPU, don't know what kind of motherboard it is(I bought this thing for 20 bucks off one of my friends friends)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

UPDATE: Okay I have determined that all but one of the floppy's were good. I put them in my other machine and they all worked fine, I use the same cables aand the same drives in the old computer and nothing happens, So I'm guessing that the floppy header on the matherboard is bad, does anyone know what might cause this? or how to fix it?I'd like to get this machine working so I can sell it on Ebay, but at this rate, I don't think I will...

How about switching the floppy disc DRIVES between the two computers. If you have trouble reading the floppies on the machine that until now has been reading them, you'll know that the problem is with the drive and not the MB. If you still encounter problems on the same machine and the other machine continues to read without trouble, than you know that the floppy drive is not the problem. Before getting deeply involved with the MB, I would suggest switching the cables too and try them out--it's an awful lot easier to check out a cable (and the connections) than to have to mess with the MB.

It looks like I fell on my nose with this reply--I just realized that the date on your post is from over two years ago. Oh Well....
By now you must have come up with a solution.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.