This morning I got up to use my laptop and it suddenly went out and has been out all day. I've tried all kinds of methods including holding down the power button to "drain" the power. This is the first time this has happened so are there any ideas you can give before I spend money taking it to a technician.

Also, I'm a web designer and I have a lot of valuable and important client files and my own "personal" files and documents on the computer, if the laptop is dead with no hope for revival, how can I retrieve that data?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

i also have a thinkpad laptop and occassionally mine also acts up in the way you describe. i have found that it tends to be a charge problem. if i leave it on charge overnight it'll be ok and useable in the morning..

if you laptop is dead and buried ... fret not about your data. you can obtain a hard drive enclosure kit which should allow you to get yur data off.

i also have a thinkpad laptop and occassionally mine also acts up in the way you describe. i have found that it tends to be a charge problem. if i leave it on charge overnight it'll be ok and useable in the morning..

if you laptop is dead and buried ... fret not about your data. you can obtain a hard drive enclosure kit which should allow you to get yur data off.

I left in on charge overnight but that still didn't work :sad: BUt thanks for the advice about the enclosure kit. :cheesy:

have you tried removing the battery and just booting from the mains supply? might be a faulty battery.

if not i would look at a charging/power circuit problem within the actual motherboard itself

This morning I got up to use my laptop and it suddenly went out and has been out all day. I've tried all kinds of methods including holding down the power button to "drain" the power. This is the first time this has happened so are there any ideas you can give before I spend money taking it to a technician.

Also, I'm a web designer and I have a lot of valuable and important client files and my own "personal" files and documents on the computer, if the laptop is dead with no hope for revival, how can I retrieve that data?

I have had the same problem with the same model laptop. What you might want to do is remove your internal hard drive and place it into a USB enclosure, then plug it into any other computer to back-up and save your data. An alternate solution would be to install the hard drive into a desktop PC using a mounting kit, then back-up your information. If you wish to repair your thinkpad, you may be able to find a new or used motherboard on ebay. They go for around 160 bucks.

I have had the same problem with the same model laptop. What you might want to do is remove your internal hard drive and place it into a USB enclosure, then plug it into any other computer to back-up and save your data. An alternate solution would be to install the hard drive into a desktop PC using a mounting kit, then back-up your information. If you wish to repair your thinkpad, you may be able to find a new or used motherboard on ebay. They go for around 160 bucks.

i've gone by english currency and found the following that just about match the specifiactions

http://computers.search.ebay.co.uk/motherboard_IBM_W0QQa10244ZQ2d24QQa12ZQ2d24QQa14ZQ2d24QQa25710ZQ2d24QQa26444ZQ2d24QQa26446ZQ2d24QQalistZa14Q2ca26444Q2ca25710Q2ca12Q2ca10244Q2ca26446Q2ca3801QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfgtpZQQfposZPostcodeQQfromZR2QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQgcsZ1505QQlopgZQQpf_queryZmotherboardQQpfidZ1830QQpfmodeZ1QQreqtypeZ2QQsacatZ3715QQsadisZ200QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ3QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs

WHen you connect the mains adapter, does the charging light come on? If not check the adapter to make sure it is working and check the power jack in the rear of the laptop to make sure is has not detatched from the motherboard.

i've bought an eclosure kit, but my laptop hard drive will not fit this ribbon cable.

:sad:

Did you buy a 2.5 inch or a 3.5 inch drive enclosure kit?

Hi I have the same problem with my laptop it went dead yesterday and i can see the charging of battery but when i press the power button i dont see any response from the laptop....Should i change the motherboard?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.