Hi all,

For starters,i have looked at other forum posts on this site and used the recommendations there for this problem I have and no solution had seemed to help.

I have a dell xps m1530 laptop, about 2.5 years old. It has handled very rigorous situations, like intense gaming, needy applications, etc. My computer was working fine (sans 50% wear level on my battery) ast night and when I woke up this morning, my computer powered on, went to the disc drive check, fans on and then.... powered to a low power state where you can barely hear the fans. I did the take out battery, hold power button trick and is no better. About a year ago, my inverter wire was pinched due to me opening up my computer to do some dusting. I haven't done any dusting in a while because I am a bit paranoid now.

What could be the problem? I have tried putting new batteries into laptop, but if I have the power cord in laptop, it really shouldn't matter if battery is in or out/good or bad. Any further recommendations or solutions that may resolve my problems? The best part about this is I am full time engineering student who needs his computer all of the time! Thank you for all help in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hold it up to a good light source and see if there is anything on screen. We need to determine if the screen is black or dark. Black means nothing at all on screen, dark means there is something on screen but it's very hard to see! We need to be sure as both situations have different causes!

The screen is clearly black, no back light. Also tried taking out memory and replacing/switching them - no luck there either. Thanks for the help Rik.

No backlight could mean the backlight inverter has had it. Have you tried an external monitor on it?

The screen is clearly black, no back light. Also tried taking out memory and replacing/switching them - no luck there either. Thanks for the help Rik.

To give you something to ponder about, the sound my laptop makes is a short impulse of fan, followed by cd tray check, and then fans turn off and computer resumes an idle state with hardly no fans, I believe hard driveits still spinning

I have attempted to use an external on it - no luck there.

Now I can't be sure but I think that the Dell xps range have plugin graphics cards. If this is indeed the case, it'd be worth reseating it!

what if the screen is dark and possible to use external monitor, what is the likely cause for this and resolution please?
Thanks.

what if the screen is dark and possible to use external monitor, what is the likely cause for this and resolution please?
Thanks.

from one of the post above yours .

No backlight could mean the backlight inverter

Hmmn, this exact same thing has happened to my Dell XPS. Did you ever find the answer - my suspicion is the RAM is screwed up.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.