I just put together a new EVGA H55 motherboard with a Intel Dual-Core 655K processor, 2 x 2MB DDR3, 550W power supply, Seagate 1TB SATA HD, 24x SATA DVD.

The motherboard boots up to get to the BIOS and I can see the hard drive and the DVD drives. No problems configuring the BIOS.

When I try to read the DVD to install the drivers, I see the LED read the disk for a second and the DVD spins-up but never reads the disk.
I've isolated the motherboard on cardboard and have only one stick of RAM inserted into slot #1. Replaced the SATA cables, swapped out RAM, cleared CMOS. No joy.
Verified the 24pin power and 8pin power. Can't understand why Bios sees and identifies both drives but can't boot from the DVD. Changed out the DVD drive for another, no luck.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hey Nighthawk,

I had a similar problem a while back, I was able to work around it by using a IDE DVD-rom to install my OS since I had one laying around, might be a temporary workaround if you have one too at least for the installation. I later stumbled on a thread that stated I need to have my bootable drive connected to SATA port 1. I didn't test this since I haven't had to reload my OS, hope this helps.

Thanks zelkea,

I tried connecting to SATA port 1 and the Bios did see the drive on IDE port 1, but did not boot from there. I have a IDE DVD-rom that i'll connect to the IDE port connector and try that.
Thanks!

No problem would love to hear the results. I know how frustrating it is to be ssssooooo close to having a new build complete.

First, make sure your HDD is in the primary, and the DVD rom is in secondary slave, try to look at their right pinning will help you resolve the boot sequence....

First, make sure your HDD is in the primary, and the DVD rom is in secondary slave, try to look at their right pinning will help you resolve the boot sequence....

You are going back a few generations of technology there. Sata drives do not need to be ID'd as Master/Slave, neither do they have pins and jumpers. :icon_rolleyes:

nighthawk, I take it you have selected 1st boot as the optical drive? Are you in AHCI or IDE mode in BIOS?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.