Hello,

I do not know whether or not to buy two 8MB ATA 133 Hard Drives or a single 16MB cache SATA Hard Drive. I would extremely appreciate any help.

If I buy the two ATA 133 Hard Drives then I would put it on my motherboards integrated raid (0). I haven't ever configured or used a computer in raid 0, so I don’t know how efficient it is or how fast. I also hear that when running a computer in raid 0 you have a chance of data loss. This is going to be a home computer so I don’t have any clients relying on me. I don’t mind small or insignificant data loss, but I still want performance.

Which do you think I should choose?

Which of the two is more reliable and could potentialy last longer?

Particularly looking at 2 of these in raid 0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145090

Do western digital raptors offer more performance than both ATA 133 in raid and SATA 2 hds?

Thank You.

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by dcc

The ATA 66 hdd has a data transfer rate of 100MBps, SATA starts at 150MBps. SATA2 can have transfer rate of 2.0GB. If your looking for speed, go with the SATA.

Two ATA 133 HDs in Raid 0 would put out 266mbs, no? so that would beat Serial ATA since it runs at 150mbs, right? ...and Serial ATA 2 runs at 300mbs, correct?

Two ATA 133 HDs in Raid 0 would put out 266mbs, no? so that would beat Serial ATA since it runs at 150mbs, right? ...and Serial ATA 2 runs at 300mbs, correct?

No, it doesn't double the transfer rate, at best it increases it by 20% to 30%.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.